District 4 Reaping (12)

Venus Verymerry's (Escort) P.O.V:

I flip my green hair, admiring myself in the small mirror I hold in my hand. This new style is all the rage in the Capitol right now, according to Belinda Birdflight, the District 2 escort. She told me about right after the 14 year old Reapings, when I recommended Balm, Stick, and More! lipstick to her. Ugh, she was using Lulianjarsa's Lip-stuff! That stuff never works as well. But at least she was nice enough to tell me this hair style was popular.

I hear the video end- "-this is how we safeguard our future"- and walk out of the Justice Building to the District 4 twelve year olds. They don't look particularly excited to be chosen for the honor of being a tribute in the Hunger Games. Then again, they are only a mere twelve years old and don't fully understand how much of a privilege it is to participate in this pageant of courage and sacrifice.

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor. Let's select a male and female tribute for the seventh Games in the 150th Hunger Games!" I smile and walk over to the girl's Reaping ball. I look down into the pile of slips with names of all the girls on them, stick my hand in, and grab a random paper buried near the bottom. I slowly unfold it and read out the name loudly and clearly. "Piper Evergreen!" I say with a grin.

A short girl with wavy brown hair- she must be Piper- walks up to me. Instead of stopping a few feet to my left, she comes up right next to me and stomps on my foot. I let out a little shriek of pain as Piper apologizes and says it was an accident very politely. Wiping my tearing eyes- oh goodness, has my green makeup been messed up?!- I say, "Let's select a male tribute now" while giving Piper a wary glance. This girl can be vicious!

I limp as gracefully as I can over to the other Reaping ball and absentmindedly select a slip of paper right from the very top, trying to ignore the pain in my foot. I read off the name. "Wesley Keyss."

A boy with hair the color of autumn leaves walks up and takes his place beside me, thankfully not stomping on my other foot. Someone- it sounds like a little kid- calls out to him, but the child is quickly shhed and starts crying.

I smile into the camera, ignoring the wailing of the toddler. "Our District 4 tributes- Piper Evergreen and Wesley Keyss!"