District 3 Goodbyes (part 2)

Jillie Hepenes's (District 3) P.O.V:

"Make sure you get ahold of a weapon but don't go right into the Bloodbath, go after everyone's run away. If the Careers stay behind at the Cornucopia don't try to get one from there, it's too risky. Concentrate on your survival skills in training along with anticipating peoples moves. Make sure not to eat too much of the rich Capitol food while you're there because if you get used to a full stomach it'll be harder to deal with no food in the arena if you don't find any. Do extensive research when selecting your allies because it's always good to have someone watching your back except if they betray you; therefore you want to confirm they aren't a liar. Although it could be tempting to get rid of tributes weaker than yourself leave the killing to the Careers because-"

"Poe," I interrupt, smiling and rolling my eyes as he stops mid-sentence. "You know I've been in the Games already? And that I'm still alive?"

He considers my statement for a second and then responds with, "I'm just a mildly concerned brother worried about his little sister. Can't I attempt to give you any advice?"

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I need it!" I punch his arm playfully.

"Jillie's gonna WIN THIS!" My best friend, Rihanna, shouts. "WHOO!"

I grin at her. Although I was frustrated with her for a while, for it was partially her fault I was officially Reaped, as she said my name(though mostly the stupid escort who mispronounced Ki's name), I have gotten over my anger since returning home from the Games. Rihanna is the kind of best friend that is impossible to be mad at for a long time, and I know she was just trying to save me from getting in even more trouble later.

But, unfortunately unlike her, I have a few doubts about myself winning. I don't like thinking about it, though- I just want to focus on the time I have left before the Games.

And Poe is home to say goodbye, which I am beyond happy about. I haven't seen him for a little over two months, as after the Reaping where I was chosen he was sent back to District 2 to train to be Peacekeeper- he didn't even have to stick around for the final Reaping because (lucky him) he turned nineteen before the fifteen Games were over. Our parents were so happy when he was accepted to become a soldier as the majority of recruits are from District 2 and the Capitol- being from 3 it was more difficult for Poe. When he went to be interviewed they must have seen something in him, though. However, now he's very busy- Poe was just sent off on his first mission in District 8 last week wothout coming home first. He wasn't able to come back until yesterday. I always like seeing my brother again- it's been odd not to, as neither he nor I have ever traveled away to another District(until, of course, I was Reaped). I like seeing him alive.

There have been uprisings. Small ones, but uprisings all the same. Poe told me last night.

"They're supposed to be kept quiet, but the civilians are beginning to find the courage to fight back against the Capitol. It's getting dangerous for Peacekeepers. Jillie, I...I might die out there. You have to be prepared."

The candle flickers over his shadowed face, revealing his worried features. "Okay?"

My mind goes blank for a fraction of a second, still processing the information he's given me. The people in the other districts revolting- possible freedom in the future. Fighting equals dangerous for Peacekeepers as they work for the Capitol and that's what the people will be targeting. Death possibly in my brother's near future. Death in my near future.

"Do...do you think if I won I could protect you?" I ask, struggling to keep my emotions under control. Poe might die. I don't want him to die. He passed the age of being eligible for the Hunger Games so he should have a future, a longer life now that he's passed the biggest challenge of every District child's teen years. Both of the Hepenes kids should not die. It isn't fair. Could I get him out of being a Peacekeeper if I became the Victor, get him to a safer place where his life might not be at risk? But it's so doubtful I'll win anyway...

Silence engulfs the dark room, the glow of the small flame slowly eating away at the last of the wax fueling it, casting just enough light to reach across the small wooden table at which my brother and I sit. He does not speak for what feels like a long time. I wish I could see the thoughts running through his mind at this moment.

"I don't know if even you'll be safe," He finally whispers. "Nobody is. Not in the Capitol with the threat of the districts, nor in the Districts with the threat of the Capitol."

And with that, the candle finally burns out.

A Peacekeeper shoves open the door. "Say your last goodbye. Time's up."

"Thank you, Kilnn," Poe calls.

"Just doing my duty, Hepenes, like you should," The Peacekeeper responds. The two obviously know each other, perhaps having trained together to be the Capitol's soldiers, is my guess.

I am suddenly enveloped in hugs. My mom and dad first, gentle, showing affection but at the same time keeping their civilized manners("Good luck, Jillian."). Then Rihanna, a huge squeeze that knocks the breath out of me( "YOU GONNA DO THIS, JILLIE!"). A glance over at my parents and I see yet again that they do not approve of my 'rowdy' best friend. She gives me a high five and a huge grin, completely confident in my ability to win this. Her bubbly cheeriness immediately effects me, too; I am going to win these Games. Who cares what Mom and Dad think? I need this optimism in my life.

Finally, Poe. "A moment, please?" He addresses the other individuals in the room. They respectfully step outside. My brother turns to me.

"Don't go down without a fight, Jil."

"Don't you go down without a fight, either."

"I won't if you don't."

He smiles, a sad smile, and I think that we both realize in that moment that this could very well be the last time we're ever going to see each other alive. It's more than likely I'm going to die in the Hunger Games. If Poe happens to be assigned to a district that has riots, he might die, and once word gets around to everyone else in the other districts all Peacekeepers are at risk. Chances are neither of us will live to see our next birthday. Unless I do this.

Unless I become the champion of the Quell.