District 3 Reaping (13)

Jara Harts's (District 3) P.O.V:

I'm seriously freaking out right now. I mean, who isn't? It's the Reaping. My name is in that glass Reaping ball numerous times. I could be chosen.

I mean, it's very doubtful I'll actually be Reaped. There are tons of other girls that have the same odds as I do of going into the Hunger Games. But all the same, I'm really nervous.

My best friend, Hue, half-smiles at me as the escort says the same speech as always. We should be grateful to be selected for this competition of honor and sacrifice. Nobody believes it.

The escort decides to draw a male name first. I wonder if she likes sending children to their deaths. I wonder if she just does it because it's her job. I wonder if she ever questions what she's saying to the kids about the Hunger Games being good and all that other stuff. I wonder if she's just another mindless Capitol idiot who believes everything she's told or if she actually can see the truth and is faking it. I really don't know.

"Del Tech!"

A boy with jet black hair and a smirk on his face walks up to the escort. I've seen him around before, but I don,t really know him at all. Supposedly he's smart.

Next the escort selects a slip of paper from the other Reaping ball, for the girls. It could have some random girl's name on it. It could have Hue's name on it. It could have mine.

Apparently it was the latter.

I slowly walk forward. I'm doomed. I was Reaped for the Hunger Games. I'm going to die. I have no chance of winning, I know that. None at all. I hope my death is quick. All these thoughts of death are making me sad. Maybe I can have a little hope that I'll survive. Just a little.

"Our District 3 tributes- Del Tech and Jara Harts!"