District 7 Reaping (13)

Max Levine's (District 7) P.O.V:

"Julia... Julia," I choke out. I blink rapidly to dry my eyes. "No..."

The Reaping was going just fine. A boy I don't know, Simon Rodriguez, was chosen. That was okay. But then it all went wrong.

Maxine Levine was called. And of course, Julia Grace, my bestest of best friends, volunteered. I thought she was too smart for that. But I can't deny that she's standing next to our escort right now, as a tribute in the Hunger Games. She shouldn't be there. I should. Ugh. More than anything else right now, I'm frustrated. Half the tears running down my face are from this feeling, this feeling that I can't seem to describe, this feeling that I can't do anything about this terrible situation. I can't get Julia out of this, out of her death.

Can she get herself out of it? Can she win this? Can she survive three days in some sort of arena that is trying to kill her?

I don't know. I really don't.

Well, she's smart. She can swim, and hide, and has prevented me from poisoning myself with berries. I've seen her use an axe before, us being from District 7 and all. She's not bad. And poison. If she knows what berries to use, she can make some poison.

Maybe Julia has a shot at this. I hope so. I feel so utterly helpless right now. I can't do anything for her, get her out of these terrible Hunger Games. But perhaps she doesn't need me to do that for her.

"Our District 7 tributes- Simon Rodriguez and Julia Grace!"