District 6 Reaping (14)

Officer Maroon's (Peacekeeper) P.O.V:

I watch in silence as the two tributes are Reaped, standing to the side of the children. Maybe one of them will try to run. I'll have to go get them and bring them up. It's my job.

Not a terribly nice one. I don't much like having to force crying kids up to their death. But it gives me money, and it's my occupation, so I can't exactly not do it.

"I volunteer!" A female voice calls. A pale girl with blonde hair runs up towards the escort. "My name is Silvver Star," she exclaims. "And I am a Career!"

Huh. The second Career from a not-normally-Career-district. I remember there was a Career girl from 3, Nemesis, I think her name was. Something like that.

The Capitol escort smiles at Silvver, and leans down to look into her eyes. "Ooh! Your eyes are almost silver, too, Silvver!" She giggles. and walks over to the male Reaping ball. I stare blandly out into nothingness, not really caring who is about to be drawn.

The escort picks a name out of the glass ball and unfolds it slowly. Her voice rings throughout the open space as she calls, "Iam Egassap!"

The young boys glance around, until all of their eyes lock on one frightened looking kid in the middle of the pack. His mouth is agape in shock and terror.

"Iam Egassap?" The escort repeats, her voice sickly sweet. Iam stays frozen to the spot, probably too scared to walk up to the escort.

"Peacekeepers, please escort him," I hear the Capitol citizen's whisper crackle over my small, quiet microphone. A few other officers- Ammber, Anjad, and Naranjah- immediately march forward, leaving our positions. Officer Ammber and I both seize the boy and keep a strong hold on him while he squirms to get down. I feel no pity for him. He was chosen by fate to die. I am a strong believer in fate. Fate killed Caffie, my sister.

Ammber and I deposit the boy next to the escort, and the four of us exit and return to our positions. The escort announces the names a final time.

"Silvver Star and Iam Egassap, from District 6!"