The Training Center (Day 1)

Milo Rabbish's (District 10) P.O.V:

I can see the huge band of Careers -seven of them- on the other side of the training center, some standing around talking, some practicing with weapons. Not a single one at the survival stations, like Mystra, one of my two best friends, and I are. And a lot of the other tributes.

I suddenly hear a bloodcurdling scream from above my head. I immediately look up, so fast my neck aches for a little bit after. There, on the ropes course, is Mistletoe, the girl from 11. She screams again, and reaches down toward her theigh, where I now see an arrow is sticking out of. With a noise in between a growl and a groan, she pulls the arrow out and drops it to the ground. Like, right in front of my feet. I share a glance with Mystra.

I look around for the person with the bow and see it is in the hands of Nishan, the guy from 12. Nobody could forget his show-off costume. I'm pretty positive he has a couple death wishes. He looks scared, though, and I can't help but pity him.

"YOU!" Mistletoe screeches as she drops to the ground. She looks pissed. Really pissed. Then again, I would be too if someone had just shot me with an arrow.

Nishan looks terrified. "It...It slipped. I'm just shooting for the fir-first t-time," He says the last sentence more like a question than a statement, and his voice is squeaky. He slowly begins to back away from approaching Mistletoe, who somehow manages to look threatening even though she's limping from the arrow wound.

"Is...my...leg....ANYWHERE....NEAR...the target!" She seethes. Nishan rapidly shakes his head, confirming the statement.

Before the poor kid can even process it, Mistletoe has a knife in her hand, and she's throwing it, and it has embedded itself in his knee. Nishan screams, yet no sound comes out. "HA!" Mistletoe shouts. "Now you're injured, too!"

Finally, I don't know what takes them so long, but Peacekeepers arrive and escort the two injured tributes out of the training center.

I share a shocked look with Mystra, astonished at the sudden events that just occurred. We turn back to the book of plants and begin to study them again. If I had known what the arena was then, I wouldn't have bothered with plants ajd skipped them altogether.

But I didn't know then, so I didn't.