District 2 Reaping (All Ages)

Sky Grimes's (District 2) POV:

Randall just volunteered.

I knew he was planning this. After all, it is his last year, and he's been training for the Games since he was Tyreese's age. He would never let the last ten years of practicing with his three weapons all go to waste. It's still a bit of a shock to see him up there, proudly announcing he is the future Quell winner. Almost all the other kids from our District have said that when they volunteered, and only two have survived so far.

I hear a sniffle and glance over at my twin sister, Millie. A tear slides down her cheek, and I give her hand a quick a squeeze. I was never as affectionate towards Randall as she was. He was always just a jerk to me, calling me weak. No future District 2 career ever wants to hear that. I try to keep telling myself I'll improve. And I'm still only twelve. Plenty of time to get better.

Unless I'm chosen to be the girl tribute. Unless my name or Millie's name is on the slip of paper the escort, Belinda Birdflight, just selected from the glass ball with every girl between twelve and eighteen in the District. Because I'll have to take Millie's place.

"Vapor Waters!" Belinda announces, and I let out a sigh of relief. It wasn't either of us. Of course, I feel very sorry for poor Vapor. She's going to have to be District partners with hot-headed Randall. I hope she's smart enough not to ally with him. He tends to get people into trouble.

A girl who looks a few years older than me- she's very tall- walks toward the escort swiftly. She yawns when she takes her place, almost like she's bored. I feel like laughing out loud. Vapor is the exact opposite of my older brother.

"How old are you, honey?" The escort winks cheerfully.

Vapor flips back her brown waves from her face, revealing a hidden scar. "Sixteen."

As soon as she says this, Millie gasps. I turn to her and hiss, "What is it?"

"Smokey!" She whispers urgently in my ear. My eyes widen, and I nod, taking my sister's hand and pushing through the gathered audience in the direction away from the Justice Building. We squirm through the people, muttering "excuse me"s and "sorry"s. Finally, we break free of the packed crowd and start running down the streets. Our house isn't very far, we should make it in time.

In the distance, we hear the escort saying, "Fantastic! Our District 2 tributes- Randall Grimes and Vapor Waters!" Millie and I turn the last corner, and she takes the steps in one leap, shoving the door to our humble home wide open. I race inside and scoop sound asleep Smokey up in my arms.

"Let's go," I nod to Millie, and she shuts the door behind me. We sprint as fast as we can back to the center of District 2, with my twin in the lead as I have Smokey in my arms. Normally I'd be faster.

The square has almost emptied by now, and the tributes have been taken into the Justice Building. We quietly push walk in and face a Peacekeeper about as tall and Millie and I combined. "Uh, is Randall Grimes here?" My sister squeaks.

The Peacekeeper pushes open the intricately carved door to the right and reveals an ornately decorated room in which Mom, Dad, Tyreese, our eight year old brother, and Randall are saying goodbye. More "see you when you get home" then, "we love you", though.

Randall spots Millie and I enter and seems like he doesn't care; that is, until he sees Smokey. He chuckles, rushes over to me, and yanks the kitten out of my arms. I scowl as he walks away, his back turned to me. "No thank you or anything?" I snap. Randall ignores me, and I cross my arms.

The four other members of my family each talk to Randall, wishing him luck in the Games, while I linger by the door, not speaking. I'm not exactly sure why.

I'm not exactly sure whether I want Randall to have luck in the arena.