District 10 Reaping (14)

Lilith Jamesmith's (District 10) P.O.V:

"Lilith Jamesmith."

What. No. I'm going to die. I'm going to be killed by some ruthless kid my own age. What is death like? Is it terrible? Will I still be able to feel? Can I still think? What is it like not to think? I don't really feel in sleep, I guess. But I always wake up from my slumber, and that's when I start functioning right again. What is it like not to wake up? Is it just an eternal sleep? Will I dream? Will I dream of heaven? Will I go to heaven? What is it like there? Will I go to hell? I don't want to go to hell. What is it even like there? Will I see my brother in hell? Will I see my sister in heaven? If I have to kill someone, will I go to hell? What if it's only in defense? I'm not a killer, though, I'm just me. I'm rather weak. And delicate. I don't think there's any chance of me winning, so I guess I'll find out all the answers to my questions soon enough. But I don't want to die. I know, someday I have to, but I don't want to when I'm this young. That's just not right. What is heaven like? Or will I go to hell?

What the hell.

Mystra. She just volunteered. I didn't even hear her say it, right next to me, I was so lost in my depressed thoughts. But now her strawberry-blond head is bobbing toward the escort, and she turns to face me, her one eye covered by the eyepatch she never takes off. Suddenly I'm running, running towards her, and I don't know when I told my legs to do that, and somehow the Peacekeepers don't catch me till I'm standing right next to Mystra, and I'm screaming at her, and Mystra's just shaking her head sadly, saying, You won't survive, Lilith, at least I have a chance. And I'm back in my place, in the crowd of girls, my two eyes still locked with Mystra's one. I would bet money this day couldn't get any worse. If it did, it would be hell.

What the hell.

Milo. He just got Reaped. I didn't even hear the escort say his name, I was too busy being sad about my other best friend. But now, he's walking slowly up towards the escort, and Mystra, and I'm screaming some more, and I want to run to him, too, but the Peacekeepers are holding me back. One shoves me and I land on the gravel on my arm, and it hurts, and I'm going to cry. My two best friends, Mystra Kinz and Milo Rabbish. Both about to go into the Hunger Games. Through the tears I can see Mystra and Milo glance at each other. Maybe, together, they can both survive. I wouldn't, I know that much. Just like Mystra said. They have a chance. God, I hope they make it. If they didn't, for me, it would be hell.

What the hell.

Of course they'll win. They have to.