District 4 Reaping (14)

Rip Tanget's (District 4) P.O.V:

Maybe she'll win. Maybe, just maybe.

My younger sister, Ruth, was just Reaped. I remember when that happened to me, five years ago. I was so scared. But I actually did it. I survived in that terrible arena. Mostly because it would look terrible if Rip Tanget, son of legendary Fjord Tanget, Hunger Games champion, was killed.

Maybe our streak of winners will continue with little Ruth. I hope so. I don't want her to die. It would take a real toll on Mila, my twin sister. Of course, Dad and me, too, but the girls were closer.

I see Ruth's bobbing brown and blue head as she walks forward eagerly. I remember when Mila and Ruth both died their hair, a couple months after I won. With all the money we got, my two sisters had ordered some hair dye and helped each other apply it. Ruth had chosen sky blue, and Mila bright lightening yellow. They both kept the same colors over the years.

Ruth glances over at Mila and I, our triplet stormy grey eyes we all inherited from Mom meeting. I'm going to win, Ruth's said determinedly.

I love you, Mila's communicated with a hint of sorrow.

And mine, mine said,

You can do it.

The male, a stout kid named Boris Ample, is Reaped, and then we depart.