The Train

Tress Passlander's (District 12) P.O.V:

I'm on the train to the Capitol. To be in the Hunger Games. Why the heck did I volunteer for Laela? Why did I leave Cress?

I don't know. But I can't undo it now.

Hunter is very upset with me. "We could have at least been together. Now I'm going to die alone," he had told me. He went on and on about how he loved Laela and that I had gotten in the way and how he hates me but thanks me for it because she will be safe. Hunter proceeded to make me feel extremely guilty so I went to my room, and now I am peering out over the small, balcony-like platform off my car, the second to last one in line, since I am District 12.

I think about Cress. What does she think of this? What would she do in my predicament? "You can go see her if you come with me," says a voice. A boy appears in front of me, swinging with one hand from the roof of the train. I am so shocked to see him that I just stare. He looks a couple years older than me, and very kind and welcoming. It could just be because of his smile.

The boy holds out his hand, and before I know it, I'm taking them, and he pulls both of us back up onto the roof.

The wind is very strong up here. I hold onto the boy's hand tightly, afraid of falling off. "We're going to jump!" He shouts over the wind. I want to go back into the train, but he had promised I could see Cress. The boy jumps first, from my car to the last car, and he holds out his hands to catch me when I jump. I take a deep breath and leap over the gap.

He catches me as I land, thank goodness, for I fear that I would have fallen off had he not been there. "Thank you," I sigh with relief.

The boy swings himself down with one hand to the door to the car, and I take his open hand again. "Don't worry, I'll catch you," he assures me. I gulp, close my eyes, and step off the roof. His grip on my hand tightens, and I squeeze it tightly out of fear, with my eyes still closed.

I don't open them until I hear a gasp from inside the train, and Cress, my wonderful sister, is there, hugging me, and the boy realizes it and lets go of my hand, swinging down himself. I realize I am crying, just so happy to see my sister again before I am in the Hunger Games. "Cress, I volunteered," I hug her tighter.

"I know," she laughs, and I can't help but question why. "But now you get to go home!"

I break apart from our hug. "Seriously?" I ask hopefully, thinking I heard her wrong.

Cress grins, her eyes glistening. "Yes. You'll be safe, and all you have to do is pretend to be me, and I'll pretend to be a wanted criminal, who will pretend to be you!"

I frown at her. "You have to be a wanted criminal?"

She smiles. "Yes, but it's worth it to have you safe!" Cress turns to the two people who were with her. "Haley, is Felicia's makeover done?"

The fire-haired girl responds, and I guess that she is Haley. "Almost. Her hair is dyed and straightened, and I added extensions, and you did an excellent job with the makeup. All I have to do now is..." Haley trails off, glancing from me to the other girl- Felicia, I guess- and back again. "I guess nothing. You're set to go, Felicia. Or should I say, Tress?"

Felicia gives her a look. "I hate you."

Haley smiles brightly. "I know!"

I look at Felicia and realize that she looks almost identical to me. Haley and Cress did a scary good job!

The guy who brought me here holds his hand out to Felicia, who is now, to everyone else, me. And she takes it. Right before he swings he up onto the roof, she glances back, and our eyes meet.

There's a burning hatred in her eyes.