Day 2

A/N: Comment if you find the two quotes from the Hunger Games and see if you can name the four fandoms I pretty much put into this chapter (some are harder to identify than others).

Angel Dustwind's (District 1) P.O.V:

I barely have time to register what's happening before I'm scampering down the tree I was resting in and running for my life. I have to get out of here, as fast as I can.

The trees are falling, their roots somehow lifted from the ground, the thick trunks that could easily crush me crashing to the ground. They fall quickly, slamming into the ground with so much force it'd crush my bones if I got caught under it. So right now, I have to run as fast as I am capable of, before the trees catch up to me. If they speed they are dropping at increases and my pace slows, I'm doomed.

It's in moments like these that I wish I had worked more on sprinting than fighting as a Career. Because I can't fight a tree. 

I try to keep myself going with encouraging thoughts. I can do this. I can survive this. I have to survive this. I have to make it for little Ophelia so that I can get her the expensive medicine she needs. I don't think about the rest of my family. I don't care if I ruin their reputation, if I stop their winning streak. In fact, if I do die right here, right now, I'd laugh in their face. HA. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR MAKING ME VOLUNTEER AND ALL BEING SUCH STUCK-UP WINNERS WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING EXCEPT YOUR STUPID REPUTATION. The very thought makes me smile to myself. How I'd enjoy actually doing that. 

But the thing is, if I am killed, Ophelia will die, too, and that's the last thing I want. She's my whole motivation for winning this. No kid deserves what she's going through. But, really, is there anything for her in life? She's got two cold-hearted parents who will probably abuse her as she grows older if she doesn't die from her sickness first and make her train just as hard as they made me until she's twelve and she can go into the Games. Honestly, though, I doubt that with her sickness she'll even make it to my age. If I win and get her the cure that she needs, she definitely will, though. And she'll go through all that. 

And you know, now that I think about it, I really don't want her to live the same life I did, because that life sucks. And I'm getting quite tired- tired of pleasing my parents, tired of the Games that have been the center of my life, and tired of running.

So what's stopping me from just letting this happen?

Vapor Waters's (District 2) P.O.V:

Two cannons have gone off so far, and Rosa, Dion, and I are all still running as fast as we can. It really would be quite an unpleasant death, being crushed by a tree. Painful, too. I can't imagine having your bones crushed into pieces under the weight of something so large and heavy as a tree trunk.

I'm in the lead of the three of us, so I can't see either Rosa or Dion to see how they're doing. I know that our pace is gradually slowing- I can hear the trees thumping to the ground very close behind us, the ground shaking slightly wit the force of the impact. The trees are like a line of dominoes, coming down and catching on each other, causing another tree to fall, and then another, faster and faster, racing to catch up to us. Soon we're probably not going to be able to outrun them anymore. No. I can't afford to think like that.

Hopefully they'll stop before either myself, Rosa, or Dion are killed. It's wishful thinking- the whole point of the trees falling is to kill us- but I have to hope for the best. Hope- it is the only thing stronger than fear.

Suddenly, I hear a shriek from behind me. I glance back just in time to catch a glimpse of Rosa on the ground- she must have tripped on one of the many roots sprawled out across the ground that belong to the trees that have not yet fallen. "Rosa!" Dion shouts a warning, but it's just a second too late. As my ally attempts to scramble to her feet and resume running, the thick tree smashes into her. Rosa collides with the ground, her body completely under the trunk except for one hand, reaching out towards us. BOOM. At least it was an almost instant death.