District 9 Reaping (15)

Emily Eronet's (District 9) P.O.V:

Terra and I hold hands tightly. She's shaking with fear, and I try to comfort her. "Take deep breaths. We're gonna be ok. It's gonna be fine. Don't worry that you'll get Reaped. We're all good. Take deep breaths."

Curse the escort that she decides to Reap the males first. I want to get this over with, over with for myself and for poor Terra.

"Cardinal Swann!" She calls out merrily.

Cardinal Swann. I know that guy. He's got some serious problems. His brain is like, messed up. He acts like a three year old even though he's fifteen, and even sucks his thumb. Like, seriously, dude. Grow up.

I mean, nothing against him personally, he was born with this condition, but it's just.... Him. He's weird, he's irregular, he has anger issues, he can't speak right, he behaves twelve years younger than he really is.

Cardinal walks up to the escort with the help of a largely built woman I think must be his mother, because in nine, he's not going to get a special helper to aid him, even if he has a 'condition'.

Next is the girl. Terra is shaking more than ever. I whisper to her. "It'll be over in a matter of seconds. You'll be fine. It'll be someone else other than you. Don't worry. It's not going to be you."

"Terra Cotta!"

"SH*T!" I shriek, and stamp my foot. My face is boiling hot and I don't think I'm crying, because I'm not sad, I'm angry. Angry at this whole damned thing. Curse that escort. Curse the Hunger Games. Curse the Districts. Curse the Capitol. Curse this whole way of life. Curse it a hundred times. A thousand. A million. Curse it a trillion times.

I realize that while I was angry, Terra was in complete disbelief. She has fainted on the spot, like that girl, I think it was Gretchen, from the 17-year-old games.

"Which one of you is Terra Cotta?" The escort calls to me. I realize that without knowing us, she must be confused, because we both reacted when her name was called.

I take a moment to compose myself and say, "Um, this one." I motion to Terra, who I am now holding up so that she doesn't fall and break her head open on the gravel we stand on.

"Well, bring her up!" The escort says with a broad smile. I struggle to drag Terra up- I'm not very strong. Our friend (Terra and mine), Roger, jogs over and helps me. Together, we manage to bring her over. "Excellent," the escort smiles at us. A peacekeeper brings over a chair- why didn't he help us?- and we position Terra on it.

Roger and I exit the stage, and we hug. We are so worried for Terra.

"Our District 9 tributes- Cardinal Swann and Terra Cotta!"