District 4 Reaping (16)

Grace Petrone's (District 4) P.O.V:

Today is the Reaping. The awful, dreadful Reaping that everyone hates. Except maybe the Careers. But I mean, who would be excited about being killed by another kid your age? Or even killed in general.

I am especially nervous, because my two good friends and I have decided to volunteer for each other if we are chosen. If I am chosen, Morgan will volunteer. If Morgan is chosen, Pippa will volunteer. And if Pippa is chosen, I will volunteer. But I truly don't know if I will. How selfish I must seem. How selfish and scared and childish and uncaring I must seem. If uncaring is even a word. Not going to sacrifice myself for my friend. And even if she does, by some miracle, survive, the bond between us will have been severed, because of my save-yourself-and-go attitude. I should be brave, brave like the tributes in the video on the Hunger Games seem to be. "The lone victor, bathed in riches..." Well, I suppose it's what we all hope for. Fame and riches. And with that the escort comes out.

"Hello, hello, happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" She chortles. Her hair looks like grass. Ugly grass. She walks over to the boy's Reaping ball and draws a name.

"Hugo Belittle!" I faintly recall the name. He has light hair and a small build, and I recall that he was very quiet in school. And that he always won at games. Most people called it luck, but I'm not so sure.

Now it's time for the girls. I close my eyes. "Don't worry, we'll all be fine," Morgan whispers. I sure hope she's right.

She's not.

"Pippa Ozete!"

Everything runs through my mind so fast. Oh my gosh, it's Pippa and if it's Pippa that means I have to volunteer doesn't it oh my gosh I'm going to die if I volunteer for her but if I don't she will die save yourself save Pippa your life is more important be a good friend and volunteer no don't volunteer you really should volunteer she's expecting you to but then you will die do you want friendship or death you want-

But then I can't keep debating in my head, because something much more important has happened. A clear voice rings through the air.

"I volunteer."

I realize half a second too late who it is. Morgan slowly walks up to the stage, her head held high. She was not afriad. She did not hesitate to sacrifice herself for Pippa. How admirable, yet foolish she is. Morgan will not win. She will die. Like so many others over 150 years.

"What is your name, darling?" Shut up, you stupid escort. Don't bother with your stupid cutey nicknames. They're stupid. Just say, "tell the world your name, Sacrifice." You are so stupid. The Hunger Games are stupid. Everything is stupid.

Morgan Cooke is practically dead already.

A/N: YAAAY!! The first submitted tribute! Sorry, Grace is a bit negative about her survival chances, but that can be deceiving!