District 2 Reaping (12)

Narnia Cinder's (District 2) P.O.V:

"Good luck!" I call out to my younger brother, smiling. Even though it's Reaping day, I'm still trying to stay positive. I mean, what's the use in freaking out? Just relax, and it'll all be fine. After all, the chances of someone you love being picked are so slim. The odds are it'll be someone else. So put on a smile. Make the best of it. And the whole thing's over in like, ten or fifteen minutes. Not even.

My friends don't understand how I can be in such a good mood on such a terrible occasion. I try to explain to them the way I think about it, but they just don't understand, for some reason. I don't get why.

The escort, Belinda Birdflight, walks out of the Justice Building and addresses the crowd. "Hello, hello! Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" She smiles. "Let's select a female tribute." She walks over to the girl's Reaping ball and selects a name. "Zoella Francesca!"

I let out a little gasp as a girl with a shaved head jogs up to the stage. Very... Unusual.

Belinda looks shocked, too, but recovers quickly as Zoella scowls at her. The escort walks over to the male reaping ball and picks a name. It's not going to be my younger brother. The chance that it will be is so slim it may as well not even exist. I assure myself with this fact as Belinda unfolds the slip.

"Eden Cinder," she calls out.

I stare at her in shock. What. WHAT. WHAT?! Oh. Oh, hell no. Shoot.

I guess that small chance really did exist. Maybe I should have been anticipating this, preparing myself for the worst instead of the best. I should have realized when all my friends didn't understand my positive attitude that there was no reason to be smiling on Reaping day. Eden was just chosen. My brother. I watch as he makes his way slowly up toward Belinda and Zoella, looking so frightened. He has to win. He has to come home. Please, Eden, stay safe. Survive.

You can do it.