The Train

Ethel Lifshitz's (District 12) P.O.V:

I can tell you right now I'm going to die. I'm skinny and I don't know how to fight and I'm pessimistic in the first place. So don't be sad when I'm speared or shot and bleeding to death on the ground. Just don't.

I figure I might as well try to enjoy the days I have left to live. I'm debating whether I should be counting them down, because if I don't then time will pass so quickly before I know it I'm about to die, and if I do I'm going to be dreading it so much because I know exactly how much time I have.

My partner, Tyle, stands at the window of the train while I savor all the delicious breakfast food. Tyle's one of those kids who lives in 12 but doesn't live in the Seam, where I do. He's strong, fed well, and more than a match for me if we had to kill each other. Which we kind of do. Unless someone else kills me first.

Tyle turns around and grins at me. "I can see the tunnel," he announces. "We're almost to the Capitol!"

Margret Patterson's (District 7) P.O.V:

The train speeds down the tracks as I watch the country fly by. The first time I'm away from District 7. I should be so excited to see something outside my district. But, under the circumstances, I'm terrified. I try to be brave, I really do. For my parents. For my sister, Elisabet. It's hard to always have a strong face on. But I do it for them. I do it for her.

I look back at the breakfast table where my partner, Trik, is chomping on some eggs. He says he wants to get fat for when he's in the arena. I would stuff myself, too but I'm too nervous to eat anything.

The window suddenly goes black, and I realize we are in the tunnel that signifies we are nearing the Capitol station. I take a deep breath and exhale.

Princess Galore's (District 1) P.O.V:

Caesar and I wave happily to the crowd as we pull into the station. I want to get sponsors, I really do, but I'm quite sure I will be able to manage without gifts. Caesar and I are going to team up and try to secure a lot of food for ourselves. It's going to be great! Of course, there is the risk he will die in the Bloodbath, but I could deal without him.

The crowd of Capitol citizens waves and chatters happily in the station. They're so excited to see us! I feel so wonderful right now, and I know I made the right decision to volunteer for the games.