District 5 and 6 Reapings (18)

Zakary Vessel's (District 5) P.O.V:

It is the day of the Reaping, and since it's only eighteen year olds, I am freaking out. I'm gonna get picked, I know it. I stand next to my brother, Zeke. My sister, Zoe, stands with the girls. All three of us are triplets, a rare thing here in five.

The video about the Hunger Games plays on the screens, but I'm not listening or watching, I'm swimming in my own terror. It's my LAST STINKIN YEAR and now they have to have a Hunger games with just eighteen year olds and then another regular one that I qualify for? This is stupid! Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid-

"Zakary," Zeke whispers, nudging me with his elbow. Our escort, Hexagon Sixypixy (which we make fun of, just replace the 'x's with two 's's), has stepped out of the Justice Building. Hexagon is a pot-bellied, annoying Capitol man all decked out in blood red. His hair is styled in a tall Mohawk that makes him look ridiculous.

"Hello, hello, and Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be EVER in your favor!" Hexagon grins. Even his teeth are red. "This year I'm going to switch it up a bit and do GENTLEMEN FIRST!" Hexagon continues. He reaches into the Reaping ball and pulls out a paper. Everyone is holding their breath.

"Raymond Canis!" Hexagon says triumphantly. Raymond. My best bud. Silly, loving, wouldn't-hurt-a-bug Raymond.

"I-" it barely comes out as a whisper, and my voice catches in my throat. I realize what a coward I am. Not going to volunteer for my best friend. Instead I simply watch as Raymond walks up to his doom.

"Excellent!" Hexagon cries. How can he say such a thing?

"Time for the gals!" And he reaches into the other Reaping ball. "Zoe Vessel!"

Zoe! Zeke and I both gasp at the same time. "Zoe," I sob. My wonderful sister. She will die. Well, maybe not right away. She could climb trees. And tell which plants were poisonous. And hide in small spaces, because all three of us were rather short. Maybe she did stand a chance. Even if she couldn't fight.

"I volunteer!" Zeke shouts next to me.

Hexagon chuckles. "Sorry, lad, a guy can't volunteer for a gal. Is she your girlfriend? She is awfully pretty!" Hexagon says, and Zoe blushes. She always had been, though. Long, flowing, golden hair, beautiful sky blue eyes.

"My sister," Zeke says next to me.

"Well," Hexagon replies. "You're lucky to have a sister like her." Zoe blushes again. "Or rather, should I say, UNlucky!" Hexagon began laughing like a maniac. Implying she would die. I HATE HIM!

"Our District 5 tributes!" Hexagon smiles evilly. "Raymond Canis-" -My best friend- "and Zoe Vessel!" -my sister- both in the Hunger Games together.

Karyn Bliss's (District 6) P.O.V:

It is the day of the Reaping. My daughter, Peyton, has her name in there, and as a parent, I can only hope she isn't chosen. I stand in the crowd of anxious mothers and fathers. I am near the front, and can see Peyton.

The escort with a silly Capitol name that I can never remember walks out of the Justice Building. "Happy Hunger Games..." I tune out the rest of the silly speech she says in her squeaky voice. She then walks over to the Reaping ball with my daughter's name in it. I prepare for the worst.

"Peyton Bliss!" Oh my god. I guess I didn't do a very good job of preparing myself. I have to stay strong, stay strong for Peyton. She walks toward the whimsy Capitol woman, and I simply can't hold it back. A sob escapes from my throat, and a salty tear leaks down my face. I am lost. My daughter. My poor, poor daughter. God, please spare her dear life. Please.

I dimly hear the words "Harold Karter" but I can't see who he is, my vision is blurred by tears and all I can think about is my wonderful daughter and these terrible Hunger Games. I sink to my knees. I am aware that the crowd around me is leaving, but I can't get up. Peyton. Peyton... And then I remember that I can see her for a few minutes before she gets on the train. Somehow I find the strength to stand up and begin walking.