District 6 Reaping (15)

Chives Colfer's (District 6) P.O.V:

I'm the middle child, the middle child of seven. It's tough. The ones in the middle probably get the lest attention of all the siblings. Lavender is the oldest, then Thyme, then Sage. Then myself, Chives. And then Peprika, then Tarragon, and finally, Catnip. I'm right smack in the middle, at fifteen.

I feel a sense of protection for my younger siblings, like I always have to be there for them. Somehow the burden has passed over my three older siblings and fallen on my shoulders. I don't understand why. But if I am Reaped, I'm going to come back for Peprika, Tarragon, and little Catnip.

It's not like I don't like my older siblings. They're all fine, and they give me good advice. But I don't feel the same about them, maybe because they don't need my help. Lavender's already thinking about marriage, now that she's past her years of possibly being Reaped, at 21. Thyme is 19, so he can't be in them either, but he's not quite up to that yet.

And yet, I know that if I am Reaped, I won't be missed as terribly as an only child, or one of two, or even one of three. There's six other kids. It isn't like there aren't others.

Now I may be Reaped today. I don't want to go into the Hunger Games. But, if I am Reaped, I will have no choice.

The escort makes me wait in agony a little longer by deciding to select the female tribute first. "Selma Frisch!"

Selma Frisch. She is the girl that is popular and friendly and smart and athletic and pretty and so perfect and I just can't stand it. She has wavy dark brown hair that reaches her waist and twinkling sky blue eyes and she's just tall enough to be tall with a perfect frame and is completely irresistible to most guys. She is just so enchanting they will be at her feet like dogs and do her every command. And what I hate the most about her is, I can't stop myself from being one of those guys.

Selma doesn't even look scared as she takes her place as tribute. She hides it perfectly with one of her charming, perfectly-straight-and-white-I-don't-know-how-she-keeps-it-like-that smiles.

The escort is about to call the male name. I brace myself.

"Chives Colfer!"

Well. What do you know, I actually was Reaped. Hum. I step forward, identifying myself as the one who's name was called. "Chives!" A voice calls out, and little Catnip is running to me. She's crying. Maybe I'll be missed more than I thought I would.

Two Peacekeepers hold Catnip back from running towards me. She sobs. "Noooo! Chiiiives!"

Another figure steps out of the crowd, and I realize that it's Sage, my sister. She gently guides Catnip back into the crowd. Suddenly, another person strides forward. It's my little eleven-year-old brother, Tarragon. "I volunteer for Chives!" He says bravely.

I smile at him grimly. "Sorry, buddy, but I've got to do this, and you aren't old enough anyway." I turn my back on my family and walk to the escort. I take my place next to her, with Selma on the escort's other side.

I stand there as a tribute in the Hunger Games.