Day 3

Who will die this wonderful morning? *cue music from Oliver Twist*

Peppermint Hippotang's (District 8) P.O.V:

"What the..." Dana trails off. All four of us are staring into the distance, wondering what the thing falling from the sky is in the distance. It spirals down, and as I look closer, it appears to also be on fire. Down and down, it falls like a shooting star, and then it hits. BOOM. It explodes into ash and dust. A cannon sounds.

I gulp. This can't be good.

Another fireball-like thing falls from the sky to a different location. Explosion. Cannon. The second tribute dead in less than two minutes.

Then the fireballs cease to drop. My companions and I glance around warily. Who knows when the next danger will await us? I glance up at the sky again.

And there it is, spiraling down towards us.

Chives Colfer's (District 6) P.O.V:

Peppermint, who stands next to me, screams in terror. I follow her eyes to the sky and see one of the fireballs falling straight towards the four of us. We're going to die. It's going to explode and we will perish in the flames.

But before I know it, Peppermint is tackling me to the ground, not fighting me, but shoving me to the side, and pinning me down so that she's acting like a shield. And I realize, in the very second before the fireballbombthing hits that by doing that, she's saved me.

The impact sends myself and Peppermint flying backwards. I feel the searing heat, and smell the charred flesh, but since I don't feel the pain, I know, with a sinking feeling, that it's not mine. It's the selfless girl who chose to protect me, Chives Colfer, instead of saving her own neck. My ears are ringing from the boom of the explosion, but I can still hear the cannons. Two of them.

I gently remove Peppermint's burnt body from on top of me and wipe the grit from my eyes. Terra walks toward me, her eyes dull with sorrow. So Dana is dead. Another innocent person, though slightly dark, that did not deserve to die.

A voice suddenly rings throughout the arena. "Congratulations to the winners of the fourth Hunger Games in the 150th Hunger Games: Chives Colfer, Terra Cotta, and Linus Flanigan!" It's Waldorf Cobb, the man who interviewed us before we were sent into these wretched games. 21 of the young people he spoke to, including Peppermint and Dana, are now dead. And three of us are alive.

As we ride back in the hovercraft to the Capitol, my mind strays from Peppermint to Dana, Dana to Peppermint. Peppermint, the sweet, caring, slightly shy girl who has lively red hair and bright eyes. Had, rather. Those bright eyes are glassy now. Because she gave her life for me.

Dana, the cold, mysterious person who stayed loyal to our alliance to the very end, and saved Terra, knowing what her own fate would be. I didn't have as much of a connection to Dana as much as Peppermint, but I know that she really didn't deserve to die the way she did. Nobody deserves that.

I sigh. Peppermint, Dana, all I can do is thank you and ask for your forgiveness.

Please, watch over me when I eventually go to compete in the final games.

All Day 3 Deaths:

Jackson Indigo, District 3

Dana Thonen, District 5

Peppermint Hippotang, District 8

Cardinal Swann, District 9

A/N: So, tell me. Did your favorite die? Is Linus winning even worth it without Vanilla? I love to hear your thoughts, I really do!