District 7 and 8 Reapings (18)

President Snow's P.O.V:

I watch the District 7 tributes being reaped on the large screen in my mansion. "Terri Hold," the escort, Felicia Feathersfowl, said in a sad tone. I could tell that Felicia wasn't happy with the Hunger Games. I resolved to kill her as soon as the Reaping was over and continued watching. Terri Hold was a very skinny brunette that wouldn't last a day without food in the area. From what I could see, she wasn't very bright, so I picked up my high-tech device and called the Gamemaker, Jumbalya Hawk.

"Jumbalya, every berry in the arena is Nightlock," I say, not phrasing it as a question.

"Your wish is my command, President Snow," Jumbalya replied.

I cut the line. Jumbalya was a good Gamemaker, but I was going to have to get rid of her soon, after the quarter quell. She showed too much pity for the twelve year olds. But for now she would do.

I turned back to my screen and resumed watching the District 7 Reaping. A young man named Connor Applegate had just been reaped. He had dirty blond hair and looked rather strong, but I knew he would go into the Bloodbath and get himself killed. Well, I suppose it would be entertaining. The Reaping finishes and I use my device to send some commands to District 7 Peacekeepers to have Felicia Feathersfowl brought to my mansion so I could dispose of her properly.

Indigo Godspeed's (District 8) P.O.V:

I stand next to my best friend, Violet. She smiles at me. "You aren't going to get picked," she says, trying to comfort me.

"Neither will you," I tell her.

Violet shrugs, unconvinced. "My name is in there 42 times." Violet is the oldest of four children, none of which qualify for the Hunger Games yet (thank goodness) but also not for tesserae (the family really needs food with all six of them), so Violet puts her name in the Reaping a lot. We both envy those District 1 kids who don't need to put their name in extra. I only have three people to feed in my family, though, myself and my parents, so my name is in a lot less than 42 times.

The video on the Hunger Games history begins to play on the screen, and I hear President Snow's voice saying "war, terrible war..." As images flash by of how the Hunger Games came to be. "...this is how we safeguard our future," President Snow's voice finishes, and the video is over. Cordelia Cacklebush, District 8's escort, comes cackling towards the Reaping balls. "Happy Hunger Games! Hahahahaha! And may the odds be EVER in your favor!" She says. "Let's start with the boys!" Cordelia continues to cackle and draws a name from the glass ball. "Jackson Forner!" She says, finally having stopped cackling.

Jackson Forner! I remember him from school. He was always mean to the little kids and freaked them out by telling them scary stories about vivid deaths in the Hunger Games. Well, it served him right to finally be a part of them.

Jackson silently walked up to Cordelia. A small smile crept onto my lips. He looked terrified.

Cordelia pats him on the back and reaches into the glass ball that has my name 21 times and Violet's name 42 times. We clasp each other's hands and forget to breathe.

"Indigo Godspeed!" She says.

I don't even have time to process it. "I VOLUNTEER!" Violet shouts. No, I wasn't going to let her do that.

"I VOLUNTEER FOR THE VOLUNTEER!" I scream.

"Stop it!" She hisses at me.

"Think of your family," I snap at her, and immediately regret it. "Sorry," I mutter, and shove through the crowd towards the goth Capitol woman.

"What is your name?" Cordelia asks me.

"Indigo Godspeed, you already said it," I snap back.

"Who was that volunteering for you?"

"My friend Violet."

"So she volunteered for you and then you volunteered for her?"

"Yes." It was barely more than a whisper.

Cordelia claps her hands together. "What a wonderful tale! This will be sure to spread all over the Capitol! Indigo Godspeed and Jackson Forner!" She begins to lead us into the Justice Building. Jackson! I had totally forgotten about him! And now I was stuck with him. Great. This is the worst day of my life. No kidding.