District 12 Reaping (15)

Cress Passlander's (District 12) P.O.V:

My beautiful, wonderful, amazing sister, could be Reaped today. Tress looks so attractive as she stands among the others her age, slightly taller than most of them, the no-sleeved, elegant white dress she's wearing billowing about her legs in the breeze, her long, dark hair draped neatly over one of her shoulders. I am so proud of my little sister for putting on such a brave face when she has to attend something she has feared all her life. That's just like Tress. Courageous and beautiful.

The escort decides to choose a male name first, and since I don't know any guys that are Tress's age, except for the one she has a crush on, I don't have to worry. We're very close sisters, we share those kinds of things. I watch Tress carefully as the name is read from a slip of paper. She looks anxious.

"Hunter Junke!"

Tress's expression turns sour, almost pained. I want to smack myself on the forehead for not remembering if that was her crush's name. Hunter? Maybe. I don't think so, but from her reaction, it might be.

Then I remember who the Junke's are, right as Tress squeezes the hand of the small girl next to her. Tress had told me her best friend Laela's crush- we didn't keep any secrets from each other, even about our friends. Laela and Hunter liked each other, and they would date, but Hunter is always trying to help his family, which is very poor, so he doesn't have time. I feel sorry for poor Laela, he is now going into the Hunger Games, and the odds are he will not return.

Now the escort must draw a female name. I take a deep breath. Not Tress, please don't be Tress.

And it's not.

It's Laela Salperon.

But before I can even process what that would mean, it doesn't even matter, because a much more important voice is ringing in the silence.

Tress has volunteered.

It's all I can do to keep myself from totally and completely breaking down. My fantastic, loving, kindred sister is going to die. For Laela, her best friend, who could have just had her moment of romance int he arena with Hunter before they both died. I know it's horrible of me to wish Laela was there, but I'd do anything to get Tress out of the Hunger Games.

"Anything?" A quiet, crisp voice says. I twirl around, realizing I must have spoken my thoughts out loud. The figure who spoke has their head covered by a dark cloak, and they seem very mysterious and sly. But I so want Tress to be safe.

"Anything."