District 11 Reaping (12)

Sophie Sky Light's (District 11) P.O.V:

The sky is grey today, filled with clouds, and there's an overall dreary feeling in the air. It gets to most people, especially on this occaision, but I'm rather optimistic that I won't be Reaped today.

I walk with the group of people toward the center of the District with my best friend, Violet. Violet isn't quite as confident as I that we'll be perfectly fine. She stares at the ground as we walk, kicking the grey pebbles. "Hey. Stop worrying!" I say to her, smiling.

Violet looks up and weakly smiles back. "I don't know how you're not freaking out, Sophie. It's the Hunger Games! If you're picked, you could die!"

In response, I shrug. "The odds are neither of us will be Reaped."

We arrive at the square, and Violet and I are sent into the group of twelve year old girls that could be chosen for the Hunger Games. After the video on how the Games came to be 150 years ago plays, the escort comes out of the Justice Building and says her introduction speech like usual. "Let's Reap a male tribute first for a change!" She says excitedly, walking over to the large glass bowl and sticks her hand in, selecting a name. Hopefully it's not one of my friends. Then again, the odds are it will be, as I'm friends with almost every kid in the District...

"Jacon Lison!" The escort calls out. I don't recognize the name, but I tend to remember people by their face. I look closely as a blond-haired boy shuffles forward. I don't think I know him. I probably tried to get to know him at one point and he ignored me. I don't remember him, though.

Next the escort reaches into the twin Reaping ball and picks a slip of paper that has someone's name on it. Most likely not mine. Most likely not Violet's.

"Sophie Sky Light!" The escort reads off my name.

For a moment I am frozen in shock, and then slowly push through the crowd toward the front, holding my head high. I can do this. I have confidence in myself. I can do this. I can totally do this. I can win the Hunger Games.

"Our District 11 tributes- Jacon Lison and Sophie Sky Light!"