District 11 Reaping (16)

Maiwyn Blad's (District 2) P.O.V:
I watch this year's district 11 Reaping on a screen in my wonderful, fancy home. Fit for a Hunger Games winner. Because, of course, that's what I am.

I won two years back, at the age of fourteen. So this kids being Reaped are all my age. Though I feel like they are more children still and I am more of an adult. Because I am a winner.

The escort exits from the Justice Building in her terrific Capitol attire and goes to draw a female name. "Ornithorynque Xylophone!" She calls. Orni what? I frown at the screen. But I am more interested in the actual girl than how to pronounce her name.

She has milk chocolate skin with dark chocolate hair and mint chocolate eyes (brown with flecks of green) that I can see clearly when the cameras zoom in on her expressionless face. She is tall and muscular, but as I look at her, I realize something. She is from District 11. She is not going to win, far from it. Orni-whatever is already dead from my past experiences.

Next is a male name. The escort draws it daintily. "Pablo Narval!" He also, is rather attractive, with milk chocolate skin and milk chocolate hair and milk chocolate eyes. Not very diverse, but still. I watch as he strides up to the escort. He doesn't have a chance, either, because he's from 11. Underdog.

Then something unexpected happens. Orni-whatever runs up to Pablo and gives him a big hug. "Oh, Pablo!" She cries.
"We're cousins," Pablo explains.

I flick off the screen, not wanting to watch any more dramatic scenes with the cousins. Neither of them have a chance though.

And I'm a winner, so I know.