District 8 Reaping (15)

Peppermint Hippotang's (District 8) P.O.V:

The Reaping. It is the time that we all dread, and I remind myself, as I stand there, that it will be over in probably ten minutes. My life will have changed, or I will be safe for another year.

My best friend, Sierra Spear, stands next to me. "We'll be fine, Pep."

I sigh. "I hope so, Sierra."

The male name is called first, so Sierra and I and the rest of the girls wait in suspense for a little longer.

"Seymour Higgins!" The escort calls out.

"SEYMOUR!" A girl calls out from the audience. I recognize her as Susan Higgins, Seymour's sister,who is a year younger than us. She burst into tears. "Try.. Try to win," she sobs, and I pity her.

Soon I pity myself.

"Peppermint Hippotang!"

I take a step forward. My red hair slips out of the ponytail I had hastily done this morning and sprawls out over my shoulders. The white ribbon flutters to the ground as I slowly walk towards the escort. I hear Sierra call my name, but I don't turn back. I can't. I will start to cry if I do. I'm fifteen. Getting Reaped will not break me like it does so many others.

I shut my eyes as I stand next to the escort. I don't need to see the faces that mourn me and pity me already. I do t want them to be like that yet. I want them to have hope, and not be so convinced that it's already all over. They should have hope.

Hope that I will come home.