District 7 Reaping (16)

Ranger Lockwood's (District 7) P.O.V:

I can't be Reaped today. It just won't work out nicely. I need to stay here, safe, healthy, so I can take care of all the girls in my life. My grandmother, my mother, my little sister Joy. And Grace, especially Grace. My wonderful girlfriend.

She could be Reaped today, too, and I would not be able to stop it. It's possible. God, I hope we aren't both Reaped. That would end very badly.

I've seen the pathetic love stories when a girlfriend and boyfriend are both Reaped. They go all, "let us die together!" not what they should be saying, "let's survive this for each other!". That's a much more rewarding goal. No, if I am Reaped, or Grace is Reaped, or we are both Reaped, we will be determined to win this thing so we have the rest of our lives together, not determined to spend our final moments with each other. That's pathetic.

The escort says her speech on how wonderful the Hunger Games are-NOT. (No, she didn't ACTUALLY say that.) then she clacks over to girl's glass Reaping ball. I take deep breaths. Not Grace. It's not Grace. It can't be Grace.

It's not Grace.

It's Ashlyn Jeksi.

I don't know her. A smile spreads across my face, because sorry Ashlyn, but it's not Grace, and that's all that matters right now.

I take a moment to observe Ashlyn. She had chin-length black hair and a very thin frame, like you could break her arm just by grabbing it too hard. She's pretty tall, maybe even a little taller than I am, but we're about the same height, I would say.

The smile that's still stapled to my face comes unstapled right then.

Because the escort has just called out the male tribute's name.

And it's mine.

...

I wait in the fancy room for a visitor to come say goodbye. A very special, specific visitor. Grace.

The door creaks open. "Five minutes," I hear a peacekeeper's voice, and the door shuts.

And there she is. I walk towards her, she walks towards me, and we kiss.

And I know I will do everything I possibly can to get back home to her.

"I will come back home."

"I know you will."

"I love you, Grace."

"I love you too, Ranger."