An Alarming Update

President Snow's P.O.V:

It is about two o'clock in the morning when there is sharp knock on the door of my office. Who would have the nerve to disturb me at this early hour? "Yes?" I call out roughly. This better be good, because I am in a very bad mood and if this is not something that need my immediate attention then the person knocking on my door will pay dearly.

The head Peacekeeper, a man whose name is slipping my mind in its current tired, annoyed state, quickly pushes open the door. He waits a few moments before speaking to catch his breath- he must have run here. I glare at him, and he immediately pauses his panting and resumes his normal serious, strong disposition that has been worked into all Peacekeepers. One of the things that is taught to them is that Peacekeepers do not show weakness. "President, there has been a bit of an alarming update," he gulps, avoiding eye contact.

"And that is...?" I trail off, bored. It obviously can't be that alarming if the damn Peacekeeper can't even say it.

"President, the District 1 male tribute, Onyx Quartz, he, uh, he seems to have escaped."

"Escaped? How?" I question him, mildly interested. Perhaps this is actually urgent- with the Games starting only seven short hours from now, a missing tribute is a bit of big deal- there must be twenty-four. If Onyx is not located before it is time(though I am almost sure he will be; nobody escapes the Capitol's grasp) and no action is taken to fake his presence, this predicament could accidentally get out to the public- and just a little too much hope could spark rebellions.

"We're not quite sure, sir. His escort just returned to the floor on which they were staying and found that he had left. We have searched the building to no avail and asked citizens outside if they had seen him walk by, but nobody has. What course of action should we take?" The Peacekeeper asks. He no longer seems nervous; perhaps I took the news too well. I like to keep those under me in fear.

I'm about to say send a couple hovercrafts after the fugitive and prepare a backup Avox to put in the arena if efforts to locate the tribute fail, but then I come up with a better idea. An easy way to dispose of a certain someone who knows just a few too many of my secrets. A way to fully convince myself that anything that went on between us is officially over. And she knew it was dangerous, anyway- she knew I was dangerous, and she probably knew that eventually this would happen. That to be a better ruler, I have to rid myself of all emotional attachments and focus only on the well-being of my country. I need to remain the cruel president who will severely punish any misbehaving, who does not feel, who does not care about individuals, who does not believe in sparing the lives of people who have protested against the law. Surely, she understands that I cannot afford to love.

"Fetch the District 4 escort, Venus Verymerry," I instruct him. It is high time I got over my own personal feelings and killed her. "Get our best stylist and prep team- the guy from 10, preferably, Mr. Plumpkin Pickle and his team- and have them disguise her as the tribute. Put her in the arena, even if you do find Onyx before the start. Meanwhile, go after the escaped tribute in the hovercrafts and capture him. Bring him back alive."

I dismiss the Peacekeeper to preform the duties I have assigned him and turn back to my work. I have to find a way to rectify these unpleasant escapes. Too much hope and too many free persons and history will repeat itself. The last thing I want right is to have to deal with a full-blown revolution. Not that there's many issues in Panem under my rule- I have no doubt that it is flourishing under my control. It being the Capitol, of course; nobody gives a damn about the Districts.

I do admire Onyx's bravery, though. It takes a lot of courage to try and escape the Capitol with no companions. It may be foolish audacity, but he was valiant to attempt to leave. It is a shame that I will have to end his life when he is returned to the Capitol after I torture him, he seemed like a highly intelligent, cunning young man. I am curious to find out where he planned to go if he successfully got away. He's too smart to try and survive in the wilds, there's nothing there for him. He can't go back to the Districts, or I'll find him. We're the only civilization left on the continent, so he can't go to a different country. And that leaves...nowhere.

Unless...unless he somehow figured it out. I doubt it. There's no way he could have. They haven't revealed their existence for seventy-five years. And then I thought I had scared them enough to go back into hiding under well after my death. If they do have to come back, I'd prefer I didn't have to deal with it.

But he's not stupid, that much I can tell. So Onyx must have had some sort of clue. Which means I need to vanquish any rumors that have been going around.

See, it pays to know how to think like the enemy.