District 1 Reaping (13)

Elaina Bree's (District 1) P.O.V:

I'm going to volunteer today. I can't wait to win the Hunger Games! It's going to be so fantastic. I'm going to win this Quarter Quell, I just know I am.

My trainers told me to wait, but I'm ignoring them. This is going to be the opportunity for even MORE riches and even MORE fame than usual. I'll be winning the 150th Hunger Games! They just don't get it.

The escort, a Capitol woman named Lenora Lightengale who can't possibly have anything in her wardrobe but purple, greets us. "Hello, hello! Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor! It is time to select a male and female tribute of the age thirteen to compete for a spot in the final games this year!" Lenora smiles at all of us, and I fidget eagerly, ready to call out "I VOLUNTEER!" As soon as she picks a girl name.

Unfortunately, she chooses the guys first. I wait impatiently for her to select the name.

"The-" Lenora begins, but is almost instantly cut off by a shout.

"I VOLUNTEER!" A boy with blond hair runs up to the purple escort. He's rather tall and muscular, like most of the boys training as Careers around here. "My name is Allistar Mento," He announces.

"Fantastic!" Lenora giggles. "Our District 1 male- Allistar Mento!" The numerous cameras I spotted earlier on the rooftops of the buildings close by zoom in on his face.

"Let's choose a lady now!" Lenora smiles widely. I take a deep breath, ready to shout that I want to be in the Games. I also prepare myself for running up to her in case another girl wants to be in the Games, too.

Lenora picks up a slip and begins to read off the name. "Gra-"

"I VOLUNTEER!" I yell, at the exact same time as another girl. I race the girl to Lenora, sprinting as fast as I possibly can. The girl is just ahead of me, her long, dirty blond hair flying out behind her. I put on an extra burst of speed.

But the girl is still faster. I scowl as she reaches Lenora seconds before I do. Her green eyes glint devilishly as she smirks at me. "My name is Aria Johanson," she announces proudly as I slowly make my way back to my spot in the group of girls, about to boil over with anger sprinkled with a touch of shame. I should have been faster than her. I should have been in the District 1 female spot.

I turn back to face her and give Aria my best death glare. I silently let out a string of curses directed at her.

I hope she dies first.