Episode 97

Joe blinked back tears as he tried to read the book he had borrowed from the hospital but he couldn't concentrate on the words. His mind was running around the word 'cancer' what it meant to him and his family, whether he would even be around to see Gabe's first day at school. He had too much to live for and didn't want cancer to take that away from him. He had his head wound stitched up and woke up not long after arriving at the hospital, he was aware Eddie had been around the whole time for him and was thankful. He had already begged him to tell Demi and call his parents, he couldn't be the one to drop the news. He knew that Eddie had already done it when Demi appeared in the doorway seeing she was holding back tears.

"Demi," Joe breathed as she entered the room. "What are you doing here? Your meant to be in..." Demi shushed him taking his hand gently squeezing it.

"Dad called me last night to tell me you had collapsed at home, I couldn't get back to sleep knowing that you were suffering so got the first plane here and called my managed when touched down in Dallas, Gabe thinks you're going to die." Demi explained.

"I might." Joe mumbled looking down at the bed sheet not holding back his tears any longer. Demi couldn't recall a time where she had ever seen Joe cry, not even when Gabe was born. She wasn't around when he held him for the first time.

"Do they know if they can cure it?" Demi inquired.

"I need a new liver but they don't have a donor, I'm having chemotherapy until they find someone to postpone it killing me." Joe explained himself.

"I'll be with you through all this Joe, I'm not going anywhere." Demi kissed his head gently letting her tears fall as well. It was either her fans or Joe and she would pick Joe any day especially when he could be dying of his disease.

"Thank you," Joe mumbled laying his head back on the pillow Demi able to see his head wound her father was talking about. "How much did Gabe see?"

"By the sounds of things a lot, he managed to call my parents though." Joe cracked a small smile knowing how brave his son must be to call his Grandparents, he wanted to see his son grow into the young man they wanted him to be but the reality was he might not even see his son's fourth birthday if they couldn't get a liver donor.

Joe fell asleep not long later knowing that he would be having his first lot of chemotherapy that afternoon, he knew how intense that could be for people and wanted to rest as much as he could before the time had come. Demi had gone back home to spend some time with Gabe after promising that she would be back before he went for his treatment.

"Are you not going on tour now then?" Dianna inquired setting a coffee down in front of Demi who was watching Gabe draw Joe a get well soon picture.

"Nope, I'm releasing this album as my farewell album. I need to be there for Joe and I can't do that if I'm touring," Demi sighed. "It's been nearly ten years now, my life being how it is. I think it's time for me to settle down, look after the man I love and my family."

"Mommy no more sing?" Gabe questioned.

"Yes but only for my special guy." Demi cooed kissing his nose making the boy giggle, he was happier now that he had one of his parents around.

"Not even after his treatment?" Eddie inquired Demi shaking her head.

"Any reason why?" Dianna inquired Demi biting her lip gently, she didn't want to tell anyone until she had seen a doctor after seeing Joe this afternoon.

"Because Joe and I are having another baby." Demi revealed seeing a wide smile coming along her parents face but she didn't smile herself. She didn't want to raise a baby without his or her father. They didn't know whether Joe was going to make it through this yet.

------------------------------

Comments please!