Chapter 66 "It feels impossible"

~Ethan~

I laid on my bed with my eyes opened, Ruby had woken me up and my body didn't feel like going back to sleep. I got up from bed and changed into a gray sweatshirt and some black jeans, not too skinny and with some extra pockets on the sides. I flopped into the sofa once I was dressed, I tried to get distracted with my phone, I've been trying not to think since Sunday... I didn't get any sleep the night she died, Ruby spent the night with me because she said that I shouldn't be alone and maybe she was right but it wasn't her the one I wanted to see when I first opened my eyes in the morning. That person was dead and whenever I closed my eyes she was there, either I saw Chrystal laying in my arms with a deadly gunshot on her side or I saw my hands, covered in her red blood.

It was horrible, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I looked up from my phone when someone switched on the light, blinding me for a couple of seconds until I was able to see Tristan standing close to the door.

"Is Iria here?" He asked first without even saying hello. His question made me frown, why would Iria be here?

"No." I answered briefly, Tristan shrugged, he acted weird... It may be because he has just lost his sister but something told me that there was something more. "Was she supposed to be here?" I curiously wanted to know.

"I told her that she could stay over, she's been avoiding her dorm but she's missing now..." His answer made sense though he didn't have much confidence in his voice.

"What a coincidence, Ruby is missing too. Corridors must be dangerous tonight, dude." I tried to joke, smiling although that familiar feeling that I was faking it visited me.

"Yeah..." Tristan tried to chuckle too, I kept looking at him, he was prolonging the monosyllable as if he wanted to say something more... He also had an extra weird expression, an awkward one. "I think I need to talk to you about something important, mate." Tristan finally let out what made me smirk.

"Is it about Iria?" I guessed.

"Yes." Tristan assured me with a confused tone and frowning. I caught him off guard.

"Have you fuck her?" I tried to keep guessing, however this time Tristan opened his eyes widely and looked at me as if I had said the biggest of stupidity ever.

"No!" He sounded between horrified and nervous, he even blushed slightly and I heard how I started to rain.

"Then what is it?" Now I was the confused one.

"We are dating." He muttered keeping the nervous tone.

I didn't expect that. Iria didn't have boyfriends, she had fun instead, she has actually been single for a year and some months and she has always claimed that she's never been happier but how could she not after what her last boyfriend did to her?

I started smiling, I tried to avoid my laughing what turned into a sideways smile for me and more confused frowns for Tristan.

"Why are you laughing? Have I broken the so-called bro code?"

Those questions were the last straw that made me crack up for some minutes.

"It's just funny." I assured still chuckling. "In September you advise me of how off-limits was your sister and now you are dating my stepsister."

Tristan's face turned pale when he heard me, the truth is that Iria and I never refer to the other as stepbrother or stepsister. As Iria once said, we became best friends first, our parent's affair came later.

"Iria is your stepsister?" He asked shocked.

"If our parents haven't break up..." I smiled at him. "Relax dude, it's totally fine as long as Iria is happy, I don't have any issue with you having to stand her annoying ass." Tristan let out a sigh of relief that made me laugh again.