Chapter 58 "She was past, a ghost"

~Ethan~

Ruby and I were late but that didn't stop us from kissing on our way to the control room. Today was January 1st, Mr. White told us yesterday, when he came back to the boarding school after dropping his sister and her children at the airport, that the next day we had an appointment early in the morning. Well, we are already like half an hour late. Ruby insisted in walking to the control room but on our way there she started trying to steal me kisses and so did I... That's how this little game in which we weren't able to walk keeping our mouth apart started.

We burst into the control room in a noisy way that made everybody turn to the door from which Ruby and I had just entered, I quickly took Ruby off me and straighten, clearing my throat as I changed my expression into a serious one, after all we were at work.

Ruby didn't get the same serious expression as I, she didn't step away until I asked her to do so, at first I felt bad, she was my girlfriend and all but... I've never liked people to be too catch up in my life.

Ruby and I sat next to each other, I didn't know if she had gotten mad, women were too complicated, so I grabbed her hand, Ruby smiled widely at me before resting her head on my shoulder, I guess she wasn't mad.

"What have we missed." I asked looking at Ewan and Mr. White that were both stood up, knowing that this idea to look forward was to avoid thinking about the last person who rest her head on my shoulder.

I stopped grabbing Ruby's hand, instead I put my hand inside of my pocket.

"I'm going to have a gun, E!" The euphoric voice of my best friend made me turn to her, making Ruby stop resting her head on my shoulder.

I didn't have time to put into words my confusion because Iria spoke excitedly again.

"We have a one night mission in Italy ahead of us!" She screamed again, I stopped listening to her when she mentioned that country... I became so lost in thoughts that I barely noticed how Iria bragged about how excited she was to don't get undercover in a high school again.

Italy... Damn, weren't there countries in this world? 195, to be exact. I concealed a deep breath that helped me to concentrate, I couldn't let people notice my lack of excitement for going to Italy. Mr. White had just finished correcting Iria when I focused on him, having a gun wouldn't be so easy, something about many tests to go through, including a psychological one.

You won't get that gun then, a voice in my head wanted to mock at me. It was right, I would have to put on my best show and answer 'butterfly' to the shape of all those blurry stains if I wanted to pass any psychological test.

"You are about to try to catch one of the most wanted man in the world. He has committed crimes in all continents, more than 36 countries has accused of espionage, disclosure of state secrets, theft of confidential information among many other crimes, murder among them." Ewan explained.

I notice out of the corner of my eye how Chrystal shrugged in her chair when she heard the word 'murder', it didn't impress me but I guess that was what made princess special... I focused on Ewan's speech again, I had to force myself to stop thinking about Chrystal, she was a good girl and I was starting to have doubts if our friendship would do good to her.

Ewan explained us important things about this new mission like that we would have few time to get ready because we were taking a plane to Italy in five days, on Thursday night to arrive on Friday morning, we will be three days in Italy, the ball in which the target is supposed to participate in an exclusive auction is on Sunday and the plane back to London on Monday.

This mission was very different from the last one, for example, they didn't know shit about the target, according to Ewan they called him 'ghost', nobody knew his name or nationality and they hadn't been able to find a picture of him though Ewan said that the witnesses has described him as a brown-haired young-looking man, between twenty-five and thirty years old. Tristan asked if the target had some characteristic feature and Ewan said that some people agree that he had a stubble bear and other that he had freckles, thing that I found odd because freckles fade with age.