Chapter 46 "Our night (part 2)"

~Tristan~

I've been dancing with Bonnie, she seemed happy, she laughed, I made her laugh. She looked beautiful too, Bonnie wore a yellow and blue dress with red shoes, just like Snow White. Bonnie also talked, about the good boyfriend Liam was and how she would love to make tonight our night and I'm truly sorry, because when some ladies took her away from me to talk with her I was glad. I needed to get away from Bonnie and I needed to focus on the mission. However, when I saw Iria getting into a random room alone I followed her, I didn't realize how hard was the pressure in my chest until I saw her.

The room was dark when I entered, I distinguished Iria's startled expression when my sudden burst in the room surprised her, though all lights were off, the room was just illuminated by the light that entered through the opened window.

Iria started joking about how I would scare her to death tonight but she cut the joking tone when she saw I couldn't even get my lips to curve into a smile. My face showed how something wasn't right with me and I honestly didn't care. I didn't feel good and I was sure Iria and I shared that feeling.

"Don't lie to me, rough diamond." I grabbed her wrist not too tight to don't hurt her. I wanted her to look me in the eyes and I got it. "Do you feel it too? Because I feel horrible."

I analyzed again Iria's expression, after she sighed it changed drastically, I could almost feel how that same pressure in the chest overcame her just like me.

"Yes, I feel it too..." I got slightly relieved when I checked I wasn't alone in this. Iria freed herself from my grip, crossing her arms as she shrugged, averting her gaze from mine. She looked down to the marble floor. "Isn't is silly?" She kept her gaze fixed down, an ironic but sad smile crossed her lips. "We are spies, are aren't supposed to feel bad for doing our job."

I agreed in that. I couldn't agree more in that last sentence that left her tonight brown lips but... If I agreed, then why didn't that pressure in my chest fade?

"Tell me about it..." I ran my hands through my face kinda frustrated, with a tired tone. This mission was exhausting me to death. "I can't help but feel like..." I left the sentence in the air trying to find the words. Luckily some rough diamond found those words for me.

"Feel like you are a horrible person because you are lying, betraying and cheating on someone who you mean a lot to?"

I smiled at the way she used a question tone even though she knew that was exactly what I wanted to say.

"It's insane the way you read my mind, rough diamond." I stared at her for more seconds than I should... She really looked beautiful tonight.

I took a deep breath, enjoying how the sigh I let out afterwards seemed to relax me a little, at least it made me focus on something more than the shinning rough diamond in front of me.

"What now, rough diamond? What will happen after everything ends? Bonnie and Kenzie hate us forever and we come back to the boarding school, looking forward the next mission?"

My questions made her shrug a little bit more what made me slightly frown.

"That's how it works..." She murmured before straighten and hold her head high, seeing her as confident as always made me stop frowning, now she looked me in the eyes. "We just have to go out there and keep pretending it's fine a little bit longer."

I didn't want to break our eye contact so, without letting the part of me that wasn't a great fan of her making an appearance, I lend her my hand and, without her letting the part of her that wasn't a great fan of me making an appearance either, Iria held my hand and we both came back to the ball.

As soon as we exited that room I realize two things;
One, there was a slow song playing.
Two, my hand and Iria's were still held.

I took advantage of that grip to make Iria do a 360° turn, bringing her way-too-close to me afterwards, getting our chests to collide but also her to look up to meet my gaze. I surrounded her waist with both of my arms, she did the same with my neck. The people around us danced in a more formal way, they weren't so close even though one of their hands was on the other person's waist, their arms were raiser, forming a right angle, which we didn't do.

"What a princess turn you made me do... Kenzie will be jealous." She teased with that mocking tone that I was starting to get used to and even getting to find sweet.

Maybe it does sound sweeter.

"Well, I thought that now that you are disguised as one..." I also teased, because I think not so deep down I thought she looked like a princess, more like a queen.

I saw how Iria's lips curved into what seemed like a smile, showing her paper-white teeth and all... but then, almost instinctively, the curve of her beautiful ear-to-ear smile turned upside down as she tried to avoid that laugh.

Why do you hide that laugh from me, Rough Diamond?

That question was on my mind for all the time we spent there, dancing, without caring about the mission, our covers, that we technically hated each other, nor even that we were fake-dating somebody else.

Nothing mattered.
Just us.
There.
Dancing.
Staring at each other without saying a word.

Until everything came back to matter.

"Wonder boy!"

I didn't react to the scream in my ear. That wasn't the voice I was used to hearing say that nickname.

"Tristan!" Ethan screamed louder, hurting my ear. I quickly stepped away from Iria to focus on what Ethan had to say. "Where the hell are you and Iria, huh? You are missing all the fun, move your asses here and help us! Tell the same to Iria if you see her."

I cleared my throat before turning on the button of the earpiece that allowed Ethan to hear me.

"I already talked to Iria. We decided to divide in order to find Kwan faster, I think she's at the second plant, I'm alone."