Chapter 112: I'm no hero

Peter was on his routine patrol, finding criminals and stopping them of course, when he smelled the fumes of a burning fire. He swung as fast as he could to see there was an apartment building up in flames, he immediately sprung into action and began helping civilians get to safety.

Then he himself rushed into the building and began looking for survivors, the burning sensation he got in his lungs was unbearable, he coughed tremendously, and everything around him was a glow of orange. He called out;

"Hello! Is anyone out there! I'm here to help!" He yelled.

"Spider-Man help!" He heard the voice of a young woman, he ran to where he heard her voice, and could faintly see a woman trapped in a room, she was holding something but wasn't close enough to see what it was. The room was engulfed with flames, the woman was stuck and unable to move.

"Karen, how do I get her out?" Peter asked his A.I, Karen scanned the room and came up with a solution, "If you get her to move forward just a bit you might be able to enter the room Peter, but hurry, the building's integrity is failing, if you don't move quickly it'll collapse." She told the teen.

"Ma'am I need to move a little further towards me, that way I can get to you, don't worry you'll be okay." The woman heard Peter yell over the roaring fire.

She moved forward and Peter began trying to get to her, while he was doing it the ceiling was threatening to cave in, Peter finally got a good look at what the woman was holding. She was holding a little boy, who was coughing and crying.

"Take my son before me, he needs to be safe." She told Peter.

Peter was shocked, "But if I leave, you'll..." He trailed, she was willing to die if that meant her son was safe. Peter shook his head, "Ma'am I'm getting you both out, don't worry."

"Peter, the building's integrity is crippling, you need to leave now!" Karen warned. Peter took the little boy, and he went to grab for the mom but the ceiling caved in. Peter had to run out and leave the woman behind, once he got outside, firefighters were everywhere. A paramedic took the woman's child from Peter.

Peter began to hyperventilate, as he inhaled a large amount of smoke, a paramedic got to him and peeled his mask up only to his nose and put him on an oxygen mask. A few minutes later he was okay, he got up and the paramedic stopped him.

"You sure you're okay Spider-Man?" He asked.

"I'm fine, just make sure the kid is okay." Peter swung onto a roof away from all the noise and chaos, when he heard the sounds of repulsors and someone walking towards him. He knew exactly who it was, Tony sat next to him. "Friday told me you were in distress, so I came to see if you were okay." He said to his son.

At that moment Peter ripped off his mask and burst into tears, Tony took his son and held him in an embrace. "Kiddo, what happened?" Tony asked, as he caressed Peter's brunette locks.

"I... c- couldn't save h- her." He sobbed.

"Couldn't save who, Bambi?"

"The woman, s- she was trapped, and I- I couldn't save her." Peter leaned further into Tony's chest, wanting to hide away from the world.

Tony knew how his son felt, he felt the exact same way, after the battle of New York, after Ultron, he's seen so many innocent people die, that's a lot for a person to take, but it's even more so for a kid. "Peter you did all that you could." He said.

"I'm no hero, she died a- and I couldn't help her." Tony picked Peter's chin up, and locked eyes with him.

"You are a hero Peter, and the truth is you can't save everyone, it took me a long time to realize that. But I promise everything will be alright." Tony kissed Peter's forehead, and began wiping his tears away.

"I love you Pete."

Peter smiled sadly and held on tighter to his dad, "I love you too, Dad." (This one shot was sad, I promise the next one will be happy.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End of Chapter 112