Chapter 189: Hostage Situation A Request by E_Writes_05

(Hello everyone, as I'm assuming most of you know. There was a school shooting in Uvalde, Texas two weeks ago at Robb Elementary. This request was put in a while ago, where a character dies from a gunshot wound. But I'm changing it a little bit, as I want to make sure this chapter isn't triggering for anyone. And may those 23 souls Rest In Peace. Thank you for understanding.)

Anyway, on with the story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was a situation you'd never want to deal with as a superhero, a position Peter never wanted to find himself in. But there would come a day, where sooner or later he'd be in a hostage situation. Peter was perched on the side of a city skyline when Karen notified him of a robbery that was taking place on fifth and main. He swung all the way to the bank, looking below and seeing armed police with their guns drawn, while onlookers and news crews alike fluttered the sidewalks behind caution tape.

The police had gotten the FBI involved, and if they were there it'd had to be extremely serious, so Peter told himself no witty quips. The officers and agents got most of the hostages out but there was still a little girl being used as leverage along with her mother. Peter went to the police and got some more information about the robber, it was simple, he wanted all the cash he got from the bank's vault. And a plane ticket to somewhere out of the country so he could flee. Peter thought to himself, "Coward." As he could hear the little girl's cries and the mother comforting her as best she could.

He walked to the FBI and asked to use the phone they were using to contact the robber. He picked it up and listened as the dial tone rang, a deep venomous voice spoke, "What?! Did you get me what I want?"

"Mr. Robber sir, this is Spider-Man. I'm going to need you to let the woman and her daughter go. They haven't done anything to hurt you." Peter said calmly.

"If those agents don't get me what I want. I'm going to this woman and her crying spawn." The man seethed. Peter definitely didn't like the way he was speaking; he needed to go in and get those civilians out and to safety. The more time he and authorities stayed outside the bank, the more aggressive that man will get and will cause trouble and pain.

The robber hung up the phone, and Peter told an agent he was going in, the agent nodded his head and watched as the young hero walked towards and into the bank. He held his hands up signaling to the man he wasn't there to fight, at least not yet. Not until he got the mother and her daughter to safety. The man was extremely hostile, making demands, pacing back and forth, waving his weapon around. He was radiating anxious and anger energy, Peter got to the mother while the robber was distracted and talked to her in a hushed tone.

"Ma'am I'm going to help you and your daughter, what are your names?" Peter asked, trying to diminish their fears.

"I'm Ruth, this is Heidi. She's a huge fan of yours, Spider-Man." The woman, now Ruth, introduced.

"Nice to meet you both, on my signal, you're going to get to the door. Don't look back alright? Just keep running." He told the two.

Ruth nodded her head and waited for Peter's count, scooting a little ways towards the bank's door. Peter turned to face the man, taking into account that he stepped in front of Ruth and Heidi. He'd rather be in harm's way than them, after all, he did have an incredibly fast healing factor. He took a few steps forward, making the distance between the two weren't far. He had to web him up, so the police and FBI could come in, the man raised his weapon finally snapping out of pacing.

"Back up Spidey or else." He threatened. Peter didn't back down, instead he challenged the man. He kept his weapon pointed at Peter, Peter then signaled for Ruth and Heidi to go. He charged at the robber and started to fight with him, the weapon went off twice but Peter wasn't injured. He webbed the robber up and made sure he wouldn't be able to escape. Once he was finished he went to the door, giving the authorities the go ahead to grab him.

He saw ambulances parked, and on two stretchers were Ruth and Heidi. He rushed to them, and asked if they were okay, paramedics gave him the rundown, both Ruth and Heidi were injured, but nothing was too serious. He felt a little guilty that they got hurt, but was glad it wasn't too bad. He let the professionals take over and made sure to visit them the next day. Being in that bank under those circumstances made it feel like hours passed by. When he got home, Peter hugged May a little harder than usual, of course she was proud of her boy, but hated how he was in danger.

The next day after school Peter put his suit on and made his way to Manhattan General and checked in as a visitor to see the mother and daughter. He wrote Spider-Man on his name tag, (that's the whole point of a secret identity.) he also signed up to visit some kids later that week, and when he got to Ruth and Heidi's room he knocked on the door. Hearing the mother's voice giving him permission to enter, he came in and greeted them, Heidi gasped and excitedly said; "Hi Spidey!"

Peter chuckled, "Hi Heidi, how are you feeling?"

Ruth shook her head, "Not too bad, painkillers do wonders." Peter nodded, taking a seat in the uncomfortable plastic chair.

"Thank you for helping us son. You saved me and my little girl." Ruth said, brushing through Heidi's black curls.

"It's not a problem ma'am, just being a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man." Peter replied.

Heidi looked up at the young hero, eyes full of adoration, "Yeah, thank you! You're my hero, Spider-Man." Peter beamed under his mask, he liked days like these, hearing how his impact affected the citizens of New York. Heidi, and many other boys and girls looked up to him as their hero. He would never be able to get over that feeling, knowing he was doing good in this often cruel world.

He stayed until visiting hours were over, Heidi drew him a picture that he was definitely going to frame and hang up in his room. It was of him on a skyline, and in child fashion had the words: "My hero, Spider-Man." With hearts around it, Peter soon left and headed back to his apartment, smiling the entire night. Falling fast  asleep after changing out of his suit, today was a good day, he needed to appreciate those more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End of Chapter 189