Chapter 75: Coffee Shop

As kids, our parents are supposed to teach us right from wrong, more so respect and to be truthful. Peter's parents taught him those morals whether someone is in a bad mood or being rude Peter always chose to be kind. While that sometimes helped, people still acted all the same. It's rare when Peter comes across a nice person.

He wanted to teach his daughter, Hazel, the same thing his parents had taught him. He became a single parent when his daughter's mother died due to complications.

Her name was Olivia, they had been together since Junior year of high school, but were friends way before that when she died he felt his heart become like an empty void. When Hazel was born she was a tiny thing, immediately going into the NICU (Natal Intensive Care Unit) and Peter wasn't allowed to see her.

When he finally got to hold his little girl he cried, she was so tiny and absolutely perfect. He was able to take her home a few weeks later and he had read pretty much every book he could have possibly read about babies coming from the NICU.

And how to proceed in taking care of them, there were a ton of sleepless nights, but luckily he had the help of Tony, his foster dad. Now Peter is twenty three and little Hazel is five, Peter is working two jobs one at a coffee shop and another at a local restaurant.

He and Hazel live in a small studio apartment and Peter has his own car. He drives Hazel to school everyday and then heads to his first job at the coffee shop, then at 2 P.M. he picks Hazel up and has a few hours before dropping her off at Tony's and heading to his second job as a waiter at the restaurant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today was a pretty busy day as he was working his shift at the shop, a young lady walked to the counter smiling at Peter and Peter returned the favor. "Good morning miss, what would you like?" Peter asked.

"Just a black coffee, thank you." The woman said.

Peter nodded to Betty, his coworker, who helped him out brewing the coffee. The woman was still standing there looking at Peter so he got the confidence to spark up a conversation. "So how are you doing on this fine day miss?" He asks.

"You don't have to call me miss, my name is MJ, and I'm doing pretty good. Getting coffee from the best shop in Brooklyn by a certain someone named Peter, if that is your real name?" She teased.

Peter blushed, "Are you trying to flirt with me, MJ?" He asked.

"Maybe, is it working?"

"You're not the best at it." Peter laughed. Once the coffee was done Peter handed the to-go cup full of liquid to MJ, she smiled at him one last time before turning and leaving the shop. He smiled to himself. Betty nudged his arm, Peter snapped out of his daze, and Betty giggled to herself. In all of the years she's known him he's never been distracted by anyone except Ms. MJ. (And Olivia.)

He got back to work and some hours passed as his shift ended which meant he had to pick his daughter up from kindergarten. He drove to the front of the school, getting out of his car walking to the stairs seeing Hazel with the biggest smile on her face. "Daddy!" She exclaimed.

She ran to Peter and jumped into his arms, Peter hugged her close and kissed her cheek. Giving a nod to Harrison the attendee who watches the kids who wait outside for their parents. He walked away with Hazel in his arms towards their car. "Hi my little love, how was your day?"

"It was good! I played building blocks by myself, I made a castle and Bun-Bun would like it. But Ms. Suzie told me to clean up." Hazel explained in a chipper tone.

Peter chuckled, strapping Hazel in her car seat and setting off to Tony's house for him to watch Hazel. As he gets to his next shift at the restaurant he took for a night shift. Tony gladly accepted to take care of Hazel, I mean that's his first grandkid technically since he raised Peter as his own since he was six.