Chapter 177: Build-A-Bear A Request by CruellaOurSaviour

(Sorry for the wait and apologies for how short this is. But nonetheless I hope you guys enjoy it. Oh and one thing, there are no superheroes/superpowers in this one.)

Anyway, on with the story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter never cared for his birthday, after his parents died it wasn't the same, May and Ben tried to do the traditions that Mary and Richard did. But Peter wasn't interested, then Ben died a year ago. So when August 10th came around, Peter acted nonchalant about the whole day. He honestly wanted nothing to do with his birthday, besides he was fifteen, it wasn't like he was hitting a huge milestone. He saw it as living another year, May dropped him off at school and he met Ned in home economics.

He wanted the entire day to be over, he had no energy, and Ned sensed that. So he made sure to not ask a load of questions, he wanted his best friend to be okay. He also hoped his and May's plan went accordingly, he just had to keep quiet for the rest of the day. Everything was going well, besides the fact Peter wasn't talking much, even Flash decided to leave him alone. MJ was being pretty nice too, she didn't call him a loser once.

Peter knew it was pity-like sympathy, when the school day finally finished up Ned and MJ tagged along with their friend. Seeing his sluggish attitude, looking down at the ground hoping the world would ignore him and him ignore it. They took the subway and soon got to the apartment, May greeted them with small smiles, Peter went to his room and set his backpack down. Seeing a box on his bed decorated with a big red bow on top. He sighed, he thought he told May he didn't want to celebrate.

He rubbed a hand through his hair, taking the box and walking out to the living room, seeing May on the floor by the coffee table, a birthday cake laying on top. Written red and blue icing we're the words: 'HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY PETER!' while Ned and MJ were sitting on the couch. As if they were waiting with him the entire time, he assumed correctly when May mentioned the gift. "May, I said not to do anything. I'm fine with no presents or cake." He told her.

"I know but this is the only one, I swear. We all pitched in on it." She replied, Peter sat next to May and began tearing the wrapping paper to open up the box. He pulled the contents out of it and had a confused expression on his face when he saw it was a stuffed bear plush. He looked at May, then Ned and MJ, it was a build-a-bear. It wore a blue flannel with black leggings, and had a little backpack on its back. It felt soft and sort of resembled himself, when he moved his hands over the paws he felt something in the right one.

He pressed it and a familiar voice began speaking, "Happy birthday Pete. May and I hope you have a great day and we love you kiddo." Tears started pooling in his eyes, the voice was Ben, it was most likely an old birthday message but May, Ned, and MJ must've combed through old videos to find it. It was a simple message, but it meant the world to the young boy.

The room was silent for a few minutes, until Peter set the bear aside and hugged May. The both of them crying, words didn't need to be said, they knew Peter was thankful. May pulled away and put her hands cupping Peter's face, giving him a small smile and a kiss on his forehead. The look on her face read that she and Ben were proud of the person he was becoming. They honestly couldn't be prouder, Peter got the message but still whispered a little thank you before smiling back at her.

He went over to his friends and hugged them too, thanking them for his gift. After their emotions died down they ate some cake and watched some movies. This was the first time in a while Peter felt happy, no faking smiles, no crying himself to sleep, and finally putting his feelings above everyone else's for a change. He went to bed that night feeling like the weight of the world was lifted from his shoulders and he could breathe properly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End of Chapter 177