→ chapter twenty three

Depuis le début

when she made her way into the great hall she sat down at the ravenclaw table, she couldn't find cho so she sat alone. the girl grabbed a spoon and plunged it into a bowl of cereal, she looked up when she heard the owls coming to deliver mail.

chae smiled widely when she spotted her family owl with a letter, it swooped down onto her table next to her. she grabbed a piece of bacon and fed it to the barn owl and she took it gently from chae's hand before she nibbled her finger affectionately. when chae saw the letter was addressed to her she opened it, instantly recognising her mother's handwriting.

my dearest chaerin,

i didn't think i'd be telling you this over a letter but here i am writing to you. firstly i ask you not to show cho this letter, your father and i would like to tell her ourselves. as you probably figured out, things at home aren't too well, your father and i cannot stop arguing and neither of us can go on like this. the two of us have decided that we think it's best we divorce, it's my deepest regret to tell you this but i cannot keep you in the dark. please do not worry yourself, we are dealing with it at home. i send you my love and i hope your studies are going well and that you are okay. i love you very much chaerin and i am so sorry.

yours sincerely, your mother.

the girl stared down at the letter, not being able to register what it was telling her as her hands began to shake. the salty tears began to cascade down her face and she quickly stood up, not wanting people to see her crying. she ran out of the great hall, not caring about who she knocked out of the way, she needed to get away from all the people.

hermione was sat with harry, ron and the twins at the gryffindor table and the five of them had watched what happened. hermione stood up ready to go after her friend but she was stopped.

"i'll go after her" fred said, standing up abruptly, hermione eyed the boy.

"are you sure that's a good idea? just let me go" she argued.

"no hermione, i'll go" he snapped, walking off to find chaerin.

once he finally found the girl, she was sat on the stairs by the ravenclaw common room in the west side of the castle. the redhead sat down beside her, she looked up at him, scoffing when she saw him.

"chaerin, what's wrong?" he asked gently.

"nothing, go away fred" she said, the boy shook his head at her.

"the first words you speak to me in two weeks is 'go away' unbelievable" he joked, causing the girl to gently laugh.

"what's up love? please tell me, i'm right here"

chae passed fred the letter and she waited as he read it, she watched as he sighed softly. the boy wrapped his arms around the girl and she broke, sobbing loudly into his chest as he stroked her hair gently, trying his hardest to calm her down.

"fred" she sniffled.

"yes love?" he questioned, turning to look at the girl.

"my mother will have to erase my father's memory.... he won't remember me or cho, it's ministry law in case he reveals our kind" chae said, her voice cracking.

"i'm so sorry chaerin" he responded.

in all honesty, he didn't know what to say so he didn't say anything, he held chaerin in his arms until she felt as if she was okay enough to let go. fred was scared that if he let go of her, she'd walk away, but she didn't.

the two of them sat on the steps in silence, chae discreetly eyed the boy. her puffy eyes no longer being able to cry, she secretly hoped that fred wouldn't go, she didn't want him to leave her alone at that moment, even if she did want to tear his head off. the silence passed and fred turned his head so he could talk to the girl.

"chae, i didn't mean to kiss angelina" said fred.

"and my last name isn't chang" chae said sarcastically.

"i'm serious chae" he responded, chae shook her head.

"it didn't look like an accident fred"

"she kissed me first!" he defended, chae finally moved so she could see fred properly. his features were lit by the sun outside, fred weasley truly was a piece of art, an extraordinary art piece that chae wanted to redraw over and over again.

"you could have pushed her away. you know i was so happy that night? it felt so right dancing with you. but... if you want angelina, i can live with that"

"i don't want angelina"

"then why did you do it?"

the redhead sighed, running a hand over his face in frustration.

"i don't know chae, i don't know"

"forget about it fred, i'm willing to forgive you"

"really?"

"really, but please don't hurt me like that again"

"i swear to you chaerin, you have my word"

the girl smiled gently, lacing her hand with his as they sat on the steps peacefully. chae leant her head on fred's shoulder, feeling numb from all the emotions she had been feeling. chaerin knew things would be okay, it would just take time.