A Visit that Called Change (KotoNico)

(Published July 22, 2020)

Kotori's POV

Today is Nico-chan's birthday!

Actually I just came back to Japan from LA and I'm still just claiming my stuff. I specifically planned to return this special day so that I could celebrate it with the person herself. After all it's more meaningful if you spend it with someone!

Now where should I go from here?

I took out my phone and looked at the last few messages she sent me and pressed on a photo of Nico-chan who sent it to me herself. A smile grew on my face. Then it dawned back to me that I'm still in the airport. So I hurriedly went my way out and called for a cab.

Not long after, I had arrived to a bakeshop, Honoka-chan's bakeshop. My intention was to buy a cake but I was held back by Honoka-chan's drive to catch up with me.

Later a familiar brunette came out from the back with green eyes.

"Ah, Kotori-san! I didn't know you were coming." The brunette said, surprised to seeing me behind the counter.

"Tsubasa-san!" I beamed, another smile formed on my lips. Tsubasa walked to the side of my childhood friend and put an arm to her waist. "I'm only dropping by to buy a cake from here."

"Yup! She bought the newly baked one Tsubasa-san! It's for a celebration today she said." Honoka got excited as she pitched in on the conversation.

"I-I'll see you again soon! Bye!" I hastily took my leave, as awkward as it to be leaving at this moment. But I could feel my blood rushing to my face.

"Nico-san, huh?" I definitely heard the older one of the two mumble before I took off.

I've really rushed out on them. I crouched down and my hands found their way to cover my face in embarrassment.

After I while I regained my cool and looked to my side if my luggage and the cake are still there.

I should hurry to her place now.

The afternoon passed by so quickly that it was already sunset when I arrived in front of her apartment. I even took another cab to be here as early as possible. But as usual, the traffic on the road was just not on my side today. I was even fumbling with my fingers if I should press the doorbell. I mean of course I should! I'm already here and there's nothing for me to lose. You want to celebrate her day with her.

A few minutes of making myself nervous later, I finally pressed the bell. I took a deep breath, preparing to do a surprise visit. I didn't tell her that I was coming back today.

The reply from the inside took a while then I heard some ruffles and tumbles. Maybe she took a break today and really slept in? Or an afternoon nap?

"K-kotori?!" She exclaimed in surprise as soon as she saw me in the peephole before opening the door for me. I presented myself with a shy smile, little blush on the face and waved her a hand. Without a moments notice she pulled me into a hug, it was hard not letting myself succumb into it but I have to save the cake.

"I'm home, Nico-chan..." The words awkwardly came out of my mouth. My hands were at the back holding the cake.

"I thought you were coming back next week. You really got me there." She took a step back to face me with a playful pout on her face. Her expression says it all, surprise, relief, longing and most of all happiness, pure happiness just from seeing me. That expression helped me relaxed a lot more than the voices in my head.

"I couldn't help not coming home on your special day, Nico-chan." A real smile finally found its way to plaster on my face.

"Oh, it was that. I see. Come in first, I don't want you to get cold out here." She pulled the luggage for me into the premises. I followed right after with a smile, excited to present her the cake and my gift.

She took a seat and patted on the space beside her, saying that she wants me seated too. And so I did, placing the cake just right behind me and my luggage just an arm away.

"Nico-chan, I have a question." She lifted an eyebrow.

"Go ahead."

"What happened earlier? What was with those sounds?"

"Uhh...umm... I was not expecting a visitor so that got me all confused and rattled." She shyly looked to the sides, not knowing where to look.

"Happy birthday, Nico-chan!" Another bomb as I presented her the cake in front of her. It took a moment for her to gulp down the lump that was forming in her throat and it finally sinked in. Tears started to form in her eyes and I started to become nervous.

"You're really unfair sometimes Kotori." She grumbled under her breath as she continued to wipe away the tears that kept on coming back.

"S-sorry..."

"It's dine like this. I just didn't expect you to be back today and that in itself was enough of a gift for me." She smiled, the tears were left to run to her cheeks. "Thank you, it means a lot to me."

"I have one more thing though Nico-chan..." I hesitantly looked at my luggage and the person in my arms if I should proceed.

"I'll help myself to you then." Now her usual teasing self is back and finally calmed down. I guess it's fine to indulge her today, its her birthday after all.

"That's fine in itself." I let her pull me in for the kiss. Oh, how I miss this. I'll leave that present for tomorrow when she asks. I giggled to myself. "But do you want to eat the cake? I brought it and all."

"After this and dinner. Stop switching the topic! Can't I just enjoy myself and bask in your cheesecake smell?" At that I was left speechless and beet red. She cupped my cheeks before leaning in for another kiss. "See? This face is the best reaction I can get out of you."

"If you say so..." I mumbled before succumbing to the pure passion of the person delivering the attacks. She slowly made her way on top of me.

And that continued until she felt satisfied. She sent me to the bath and herself into the kitchen. We ate the delicious dinner she made, as always. And had the cake fore dessert. ...Well, she had a round two for dessert... We did it again...

The next moment I woke up was from the ray of sunlight hitting my face. I looked to my side and saw a peaceful face of my cute girlfriend. My hand moved the stray hair into the back of her ear and this made her flutter her eyes open.

"...Good morning Kotori..." A yawn came out from her mouth.

"Good morning Nico-chan!" I greeted back, adding energy to it.

"Speaking of, what was your gift Kotori?" She asked, mindlessly trailing off the bed.

"A ring." A grin spread into my lips as I saw her getting flustered.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Heya!

As I said a Nikotori shot!

With that said, happy birthday to the number one idol in the universe, Nico!

As always,

Thanks for dropping by!