Work (ChikaYou)

(Published April 17, 2021)

You's POV

"Let's be partners, for life." She says with such a charming smile that my heart skips a beat everytime I think about that proposal.

Everything just happened last week. I never expected her to work that fast and take my heart away all over again. It still feels like a dream. I keep on fidgeting with the new addition of my accessories, not that I usually have more on me, except for the watch on my wrist.

I grin like an idiot just looking at the ring on my finger. The gem decorating the silver ring is of the color of the sea, like she's trying to remind me of my dream of sailing in the ocean with my own ship once.

"Y-you-chan..." That voice is always welcome, but the tone she uses is an alarm. I look at her with furrowed brows and only laughs at the expression she was making. "Don't laugh! We still have work to do. I don't want to go through an earful from Dia-san again."

She puts the stack of paper onto the desk and rests her chin on the table.

"Yes, yes. So what are we supposed to do with all these paperwork, Chika-chan?" I continue to look at her fondly.

"We are to look for the connection between these cases, is what Dia-san told me. Nothing more." Chika-chan sighs as I take the first bundle of paper on top of the stack.

"Hmmm." I only hum as I look through the pages of the bundle.

The summary of the accident. Witnesses. Suspects. Photos of the scene of the accident. The theory that this wasn't just a simple accident but a premediated one. Car was too damaged to look for any clues on the vehicle itself. Case was closed as a simple accident.

It's not anything new. Cases like these were abundant, not the norm. Since we had a change of chief, she even involves herself in some of the cases when she finished another workload of papers. Dia-san is really reliable and has leadership values.

I wonder how they found her.

Ah.

I'm thinking of other things again. I should focus on the paper before me and Chika-chan.

"If Dia-san says these cases are connected in some way then they probably really are." I put aside that bundle and take another one from the pile. "You know that Dia-san is correct with her assumptions most of the time. When it doesn't, it happens very rarely."

Chika groans as she finally takes a bundle from the pile.

"You're too stuck up, You-chan!"

"Well it is work."

She pouts as I continue onto the next bundle, setting aside the second bundle she took.

"You should also seriously and calmly look through those cases Chika-chan. The earlier we finish, the earlier we get off work. You said you wanted to bring me somewhere didn't you?"

"Right!"

I let out a sigh of relief as Chika-chan finally eagerly looks over the cases.

--

"I'm surprised you saw this pile of cases through. It was a lot. Good job on this, you lovebirds." Dia-san complimenting people is very rare. So this was a good experience. She also noticed the rings on our fingers, nothing really just passes her by her eyes.

"Ehe~" Chika-chan put a hand to the back of her neck and had a silly grin on her face.

"Chika-chan." I tried to warn, but the gentleness is what comes through.

"It feels good to receive praises from Dia-san, it just..."

"I know."

A clear of the throat made us snap back to concentration.

"Anyways, you've done enough for the day. You both can leave early. You have things to arrange don't you?" Dia-san returns her hand to the desk from the side of her mouth.

"Thank you chief!" Chika-chan says before leaving the room first.

"We'll take our leave then chief." I did a momentary bow before formally leaving the chief on her own.

--

"Good thing she accepted our theory. I don't know what I'd do when we had to overtime today..." Chika-chan stretches her hands up in the air. I put mine behind me.

"It's a possible route for those cases too. And. We can't have another serial killer on the loose. Dia-san would accept an acceptable and reasonable theory."

"Can we stop talking about work? We're already off work, please." She grumbles, holding her own head in her hands, gritting her teeth. I giggled at her desperation.

"We're still at work?" I tilt my head to the side. Stating the obvious.

She groaned.

"Let's get out already." She pulled me by the hand out of the precinct. I still had time to actually grab our things before she continued us out of the workplace. Still, she had a smile on her face, oh well.

-----------------------------------------------------------

That was Shun-chan!

Happy birthday to best girl You-chan! Yousoro!

I still haven't given her song a listen yet. i'll go listen at it now.

As always,

Thanks for dropping by!