Chapter 78

A few days after Team SuperFlash had returned to Central City, Kara found herself once again leaving, this time to go to Washington DC to help her parents unpack into their new house and also to be there to support her mom and Cat, since there was a press conference taking place at the White House where President Marsdin was going to officially swear them both in.

That was why she was now standing in the White House, for once not as Supergirl, but as both a daughter and a reporter, since in addition to taking over Catco, she was also covering the story for Catco.

However, on her way to the press conference room, Kara accidentally bumped into someone.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Kara said as she turned to face the person she'd bumped into and then her expression briefly soured when she saw who it was.

"It's quite alright ma'am." Baker said and Kara had to resist the urge to scoff at him.

"Vice President Baker." Kara said, trying to keep her distaste from showing since this man was the reason she no longer had any desire to actually work for the government. How J'onn and Alex did it was beyond her.

"Pleasure to meet you Ms." Baker asked.

"Danvers. Kara Danvers, I'm covering the press conference for Catco. Speaking of which, I should really get in there." Kara said as she quickly moved away and she began making a mental note to start talking to President Marsdin as Supergirl to try and get her to replace Baker as soon as possible, since she did not trust that man to become president again. One of the things she'd been the most relieved about in this new reality was that Marsdin was the President again, since she hadn't been sure if it would be her earth's president or Earth One's president, but either way, things had worked themselves out and she was trying to make sure they stayed that way. For the sake of every alien, human and metahuman hero on this planet.

Anyways, when Kara entered the conference room, she managed to get a good seat next to her father.

"I'm so proud of your mother." Zor-El said.

"Me to. She's gonna be a great head of alien affairs. Especially since it seems like she isn't so quick to send people away like she was before." Kara said.

"That actually has to do with losing you. When we lost you and everything else, it forced both of us to reevaluate things and we learned from our mistakes." Zor-El said.

"I know." Kara assured him with a smile as the press conference began as President Marsdin took the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press, thank you all for coming out here today to witness the events. As you all know, a few days ago while I was in Central City, I signed into law the Alien Amnesty Act, to give alien refugees in this country true citizens rights. Today I take that action one step further by establishing the Bureau of Alien Affairs. This office will be in charge of dealings with other worlds, including taking in refugees and all matters regarding that. And I have personally selected the individual that will run this office and report to directly to me, like all members of my cabinet. Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for my new Director of Alien Affairs, Melissa Starr." Marsdin said as everyone began clapping as Alura joined the President on stage, but none clapped harder then Kara and Zor-El.

"Thank you Madam President." Alura or Melissa said.

"Please place your left hand on the bible, raise your right hand and recite the oath of office." Marsdin said and Alura was grateful Kara had gone over this with him.

"I, Melissa Starr, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." Alura recited perfectly as everyone clapped.

"And before the questions start, I am also announcing a second appointment to my cabinet. I have also decided to name a new press secretary to my cabinet. One who is an old friend of mine and who I know all of you are familiar with. Ms. Catherine Grant." Marsdin said as Cat then joined them on stage.

After dodging several questions and silencing the crowd with a look Kara was all too familiar with, Cat was finally able to recite the same oath as Alura did, officially making her the new press secretary and Kara smiled as the conference continued.

Don't worry, Baker will not be rising to power, since I truly hate him and once upon a time, I was convinced he was the puppet Lex was pulling the strings of, but after seeing last night's episode of Supergirl and thinking about how I was writing this chapter today, I realized I might as well put in a little mention of him.