Chapter 56

This chapter will have an unexpected twist in it.

"You wanted to see me Ms. Grant?" Kara asked as she entered her office the first day back after the wedding.

"Yes, as I'm sure you were aware, those stories regarding the hero Aquaman were confirmed to be real while you were in Metropolis. The Daily Planet hasn't released a story on it yet and since you were there, I was hoping that you'd be able to write an article on this." Cat said and Kara smiled.

"I already did. I started working on it after I got back to the hotel following the wedding reception. I actually sent you a first draft of it, since I figured you'd want your name on this article like you did on Supergirl." Kara said.

"Smart move, but I'm not one of those people who takes credit for other people's work. Send me the article again and I will give it a once over, since this is a cover worthy story. Please tell me you got pictures?" Cat asked.

"Supergirl did me a favor and she managed to give me a few images of the Aquaman." Kara said, since she'd convinced Arthur to let her get a few pics of him for her article while they'd waited for Alex and Sara to arrive at Argus.

"Good. You really seem to be connected in the superhero world." Cat said.

"I guess I'm just glad that Supergirl trusts me enough to share that information with me." Kara said and Cat smiled, since she decided to drop the act.

"Yes, well, I'm sure it's easy to trust yourself." Cat said and Kara stopped abruptly.

"I'm sorry what?" Kara said, trying to play it off.

"Oh please give me some credit. I'm not an idiot. I've noticed that every time you inexplicably run off, Supergirl happens to appear at the exact same time. Also, your articles, while most people don't notice it, but when you write about Supergirl, you include details that no one could possibly know unless you were Supergirl." Cat said and Kara sighed, knowing she was busted.

"How long have you known?" Kara asked, deciding that this time, she'd just be upfront with Cat.

"I figured it out a few months ago. I'm assuming that your boyfriend Mr. Allen is the Flash?" Cat asked and Kara sighed again and nodded.

"Ms. Grant, you have to understand, no one can know my identity." Kara said.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. After all, if Supergirl is exposed, then she can't keep saving the day which means no more news to report on." Cat said and Kara sighed in relief.

"Thank you Ms. Grant. But before you ask, no I am not telling you who Superman is." Kara said.

"Do you honestly think I haven't figured out that it's Clark Kent? After all, you already said that you are cousins and after I figured out you were Supergirl, he was an obvious guess. I'm assuming his new wife knows?" Cat asked and Kara nodded.

"Lois was one of the first people to find out and she also knows about me. So does James." Kara said.

"Interesting. But anyways, do you know why I hired you?" Cat asked, taking Kara aback.

"No, why?" Kara asked.

"It's because you reminded me of me. Well, a younger, much less fashionable and naive version of me." Cat said and Kara had to resist rolling her eyes at that.

"Why are you telling me this?" Kara asked.

"Because, as I'm sure you know, I haven't selected my successor for the time when I have to inevitably leave Catco." Cat said.

"Yes, of course." Kara said, wondering where this was going.

"Well, now I have." Cat said, confusing Kara for a few minutes before she realized what Cat was talking about.

"Wait, you mean me?" Kara asked.

"Yes you. Why do you think I kept you around so long. Thanks your years as my assistant, you're already very familiar with the way this company works and now you've got a bit of experience as a reporter. While I'm not going anywhere yet, I think it is time for me to start grooming you to one day take the reigns." Cat said with a smile.

"Are you sure about this?" Kara asked, since yes Cat was basically offering her a dream job, but at the same time, Kara wasn't sure she could handle being the next Cat Grant.

"I understand it's a big decision, but that's why I'm telling you now to give you time to get used to the idea, since I still have a lot to teach you." Cat assured her.

"Thank you Ms. Grant." Kara said.

"Now, I believe you still have your reporting job to do, so please get to it." Cat said and Kara nodded as she rushed out of the office while trying to get over her shock at everything Cat had just said.