My Life, My Secrets, My Story Part 76

Start from the beginning

We ate in relative silence, Alex occasionally commenting on my cooking and complementing it.

“Next time you’re cooking. It’s way better than my stuff.” Alex said.

“No way, I only cook simple stuff like that. I can’t cook as well as you.” I protested.

She scoffed, thinking I could totally do it. Obviously she had more faith in me than I had in myself.

“Can Brendan and Oscar cook?” Alex asked.

“Oscar can, because he thought his mate would have liked it. Brendan does know, but he doesn’t use it often, because he’s embarrassed by the fact that he can cook.” I told her.

“Good, because Olive knows the basics, so she can fend for herself if given a recipe and stuff like that, Oscar can definitely help her. Bells on the other hand, is hopeless, she can’t even boil water right, so Brendan knowing how to cook is great, and he doesn’t have to worry about being embarrassed, Bells loves guys that can cook.” Alex said.

That was great for the guys, they both found people compatible with them. Alex and I were kind of compatible but I hadn’t really wanted a mate that was just like me in every way, because that would have been annoying. I’m glad that Alex and I clash, that way we’re 2 different people not one being, like most people and their mates were thought of as.

“At least both of us know how to cook though.” I pointed out.

“You and I aren’t normal mates.” Alex pointed out, sadly.

“Well isn’t that a good thing?” I asked.

It hadn’t occurred to me that Alex might not have liked the fact that we weren’t like most mates. She sighed, and it confirmed that she didn’t like that we weren’t like most mates.

“It’s just we’re so different from everyone as it, us being abnormal mates, the one thing that I thought actually could have been normal, turned out to be different too.” Alex admitted.

“Does that mean you don’t like that we’re mates?” I asked, quietly.

“NO! That’s not what I meant. I love you, Alec, I really do. I just want to have something that’s normal you know.” Alex protested and explained.

“After all of this is over, I’ll show you something that’s completely normal.” I promised her.

“Honestly, I’ve gotten use to everything being abnormal, I don’t mind it as much as I use to, but still, I wish that I wasn’t always put on the spot as the Lifest.”

I knew what she was talking about and this surprise was going to make everything feel like it was back to normal. I wanted to give it to her now, but I knew with all this going around, I’d just be making it more complicated for her, I know that I’d put her on the spot again, the thing she hated most. I would have to take this slow so that she had time to think about things like she should.

“Remember when I said I have a surprise for you when all this is over?” I asked her.

She nodded, remembering eagerly. I took her hands in mine.

“Well, I really want to give it to you know, in case something goes wrong and I…I lose you—” I started.

“Please, Alec, don’t think like that. You’ve been keeping me sane for such a long time, honestly I would have gotten sick because of all this stress had it not been for you, so please don’t think like that, or I’ll start thinking like that.” Alex pleaded.

I nodded, and tried not to choke on all the emotions I was feeling right now. I was just as scared as her, if not more. I was afraid, that I was going to lose her, that something would go wrong tomorrow and I would never see my Alex again. I had to act strong, though, for Alex, because I was her support for so long and if her support broke than she would surely break.