The Shadows of Dusk [The Darkened Time Series Book 1] ~ 5

V- Part I of The Beginning of the End

I sat down across the Team Rocket mission briefer.

He motioned to a wall behind him. A large screen flickered to life, as another Team Rocket member took a seat beside me, his black-with-a-red-'R' shirt making him look professional.

"This," said the briefer, pointing to the picture of a fourteen year old boy wearing black jeans and a dirty green shirt, "is Caleb. He is a young master criminal who believes he is on the 'Good' side. His list of crimes- are confidential. His status- is confidential. More information other than his most likely current location which will be disclosed- are confidential. Your job," he said, motioning at the two of us, "is to bring this danger to society to justice. Here is his probabal location," he handed us a piece of paper, and my partner took it, placing it in his pocket. "Go get'm!" roared the.... Guy. Once more, I was amazed by how little I knew of this organization. And I was a part of it. (Hey, at least...)

We stood up, and exited the room. My partner walked down a corridor, and I followed in fashion. After rounding a newly painted white corner, he turned, seemingly surprised that I was following him.

"Didn't they teach you anything? Go, pack your bags, and meet me in the front!"

He turned, and walked at a brisk pace down the corridor.

I shrugged my shoulders and retraced my steps back to the briefing room and from there towards my room. Smiling at the mere thought of finally being able to help out, my smile quickly faded at the thought of my parents which randomly popped into my mind as I pondered my target, Caleb. Their images seemed to be... warning me? I dunno, but it seems like a potentially easy job to me. Hey, I guess I'll be extra careful.

I reached my room, and after entering quietly I pulled out my bag and started packing my few belongings. It didn't take to long; but I still packed everything I owned that was accessible to me. My medium-sized red and black PokèHike backpack wasn't that full, there was still room for an absol to curl up inside. Not that I'd want one to.

Time, I thought, for an epic adventure.

Or a flop. But hey, it's a risk ya gotta take!

I walked out of my room, closing the freshly painted door behind me. Wonder when they did that? I glanced at the flakes of white paint on my hand. Luckily it seems to be some sort of quick-drying paint, the flakes weren't really wet or anything. I whacked my hands briskly together a few times and made my way swiftly towards the front of the building. My two pokemon, Doom and Pidgey, were safely nestled in their pokeballs, which were currently strapped to my epic orange belt.

As I rubbed my eyes, a bad habit that I just can't stop,  I was suddenly struck by the thought that I didn't know where the front was. I mean, when I stumbled in that fateful day, I wasn't exactly memorizing the place.

I guess I'll just wing it, then.

Walking swiftly through the corridors, I notice several more rooms like the one I was currently residing in. As I think back to when I received my room...

"The map!" I exclaim, a passing Team Rocket employee glaring at me oddly.

I pull my bag off my back and rummage through it, it's contents seemingly clawing at my hand as I probe. I finally feel paper, and as I'm pretty sure I didn't bring my old math homework with me, I pull it out.

But it's only a little ripped and crumpled piece of the map; and as I look more closely I can tell the entire map has been badly damaged, little rumpled bits here and there in my backpack. I guess I shouldn't have hurried so much back when I was packing my backpack. Whoops.

I guess I have to just keep walking randomly, then. Maybe I'll stumble across the front of the building by dumb luck, as I was hoping before.

—--—--—

About five minutes later, I walk out into a large, open space. As I can see my partner entering from another hallway, I can guess I've (finally) made it to the foyer in front.

I walk over to my partner, who briskly walks towards the front door, and pushes the tinted glass door open, walking out without even glancing behind him.

I hurried to catch up with him.

Walking beside him, I asked, "Uh... Where are we going?"

"To Darnkeed Forest," he replid curtly.

I looked in the direction we were heading towards, the forest once known as Lightened Forest linking ominously ahead, it's trees marking the boudaries of the large city.

It wasn't long before we reached the trees of Darnkeed Forest, and walked off the reassuring concrete to the cushy dirt...

----—----—----

Yup. That's the end of V- The Beginning of the End, Part I. Did you like it? I certainly hope you did. And yes, it's the beginning of the end. Ominous chapter title, eh? I like using roman numerals. :D It adds to the seriousness. :D. And to FanFictionsOnly, I'm going to try and find a picture of an absol crying on google images. :D My plan was to have Doom cry at one point this chapter, but hey. There wasn't really any opportunity.

Thanks for reading!