The Shadows of Dusk [The Darkened Time Series Book 1] ~ 3

Picture by Kari D. Medley. http://dukacia.deviantart.com/art/Absol-190365886

Part III of The Beginning

It's me, Ilovetoread72 from the future jumping in again! Yay!

Well, I just wanted to choose a random chapter to tell you all I'm planning on re-writing. So, YAY! :D Anyway byes! :D

Now for your unedited chapter:

---/III/---

Ugh.. I can't feel anything. My body is in pain, the central point my head. I'm barely coming round, so I can barely tell what's going on around me. There are people yelling, that's for sure. The pain, the pain...

...Hours later...

...The pain has now subsided enough that I can crack my eyes open. Light floods in, my eyes scrambling to adjust. I let my lids slide closed again, and drift off...

...Still hours later...

I finally have enough strength to come round. My eyelids flit open, and I can immediately tell where I am: My room. I sit up straight. I look around, and find the door is cracked open, and a letter sitting on the foot of my bed.

It reads,

We are sorry for the accident in the battle with your absol, Doom, and our Pokemon. We will insure you have sufficient time to recover, as it is likely you are still very weak.

-Team Rocket

I try to remember the battle that took place and resulted in my injury, but I cannot remember. All that comes to my mind is him throwing a pokèball... then, pain. The battle must be wiped out of my mind. Diverting my attention, I noticed a large scar on my right arm. Maybe that was how I was knocked out? Suddenly, I check my alarm clock. 7:23. Hurriedly, I pull on a different pair of unclean shorts, a shirt with a bloodstain on it, from a nosebleed, and rush out to the briefing room. There, I find no one. Obviously, he did not expect me to arrive on time. I see a shadow in the corridor, and he walks in, his eyes big at my early arrival.

"D-did you touch anything!?" He asks with a surprisingly worried look on his face.

"No," I reply, "I just arrived."

"Thank goodness," he replies, a very relieved look on his face. He then seems to go a little red in the face, obviously due to the rather rude greeting. "Uh... These papers are very important, confidential. Some are actual letters from the International Police, asking us to hunt people down. All are wanted criminals, all wanted for various crimes, such as murder, thievery, breaking-and-entering, and so on. So I'd advise you didn't look at them."

"Uhh. Okay," I reply, making a confused face. Wouldn't I know that?

"Anyway," he continues, "Today we will start your training, again. Come with me."

Leading me down the same corridor, he showed me into a different room this time, right next to the previous one. Picking up a pokèball, he readied himself, and signaled for me to get ready. He threw the pokèball, and I released absol for what I thought could be the second or first time.

'Star!' came a rather high pitched cry, from the bird-like Pokemon appearing out of the Rocket's pocket.

'Sol' came a more deep-throated grunt from the young absol.

Guessing off the bat that it was a battle, I rushed to instruct absol on his first blow... But didn't think of a command. I realized without a pokedex from the professor, I would have to learn and memorize absol's moves. Which, of course, should probably be done BEFORE your battle. I swore under my breath. What could I do? The rocket was already beginning to issue a command. If I waited any longer I would be facing the attack of my opposer. Gritting my teeth, I yelled out a random word that sounded like an attack, "Kick!"

Absol, for his part, simply stared at me blankly. "Uhhh... Punch! Whack!-"

For the full duration of the next two, absol seemed to be trying his hardest to do the pokemon's version of an eye-rolling. Unfortunately, my tirade of guess's at Pokemon moves were interrupted by my opponent.

"Starly! Use cut!"

The small, gray bird Pokemon swooped in on Doom. 

I had to think on my feet, something I am unfortunately bad at.

"U- tackle!?"

This final word did it. Doom stopped trying to roll it's eyes at me, and launched itself at the bird Pokemon which was already swooping down towards doom. Bashing into each other, I held my breath. Who, if either had, scored the fatal hit?

The starly, not even trained at all, fell easily. Of course, Doom hadn't been trained at all, either. He lay on the ground, panting in exhaustion. I rushed over. Looking at... The rocket, I put in words exactly what I was thinking. "Can I take him to the Pokèmon center? He looks pretty beat up."

"Hmmmm," replied the rocket, evidently pondering this question. "How about something even better, you use one of our very own Trocketheal healing devices? There's one in the wall right over here," he said, gesturing towards a small, circular indent in the wall I hadn't noticed before. I recalled Doom, then placed his pokèball in the indent. Glowing almost magically, the strange happening soon stopped, and I grabbed my pokeball back out. Happily, I threw it to release Doom. He stood there, looking 100% rejuvenated. He glanced at me, happily, and let a 'Ab!' of happiness.

This training, in this sort, would continue for months, till it was time to move on to the next, and final, leg of training.

-----Months Later-----

"Whooo," I panted, having just ran around a track three times with Doom. I was waiting for my instructor, who was late. I glanced around my surroundings one more time, taking in once more the 500 metre track that I was standing on, the back of the rocket HQ right in front of me, and the forest directly behind me. I had not yet entered the forest, yet I knew from instinct it was a vast forest that stretched far and wide.

Another rocket person came into view, carrying a pokeball in one greasy hand and a clipboard in the other, wearing a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt.

Walking up to me, he said, "I'm sorry to say your other instructor will not be here anymore. Something has happened to him on one of his jobs and has not reported back since. I, Bob, will be taking over for him. Okay, so today we will start to cover taking in criminals."

He lifted the pokeball in his hand, and threw it. I groaned, it was just a pidgey. I had already long covered weak Pokemon in battles, I wanted to say, but the fact this was another part of the training held me back.

"This pidgey," he explained, "will be flying around the grounds, and the part of the forest nearest to us right now. Your goal is to capture it, and bring it back to me. Okkkaaayy.... GO!"