The Shadows of Dusk [The Darkened Time Series Book 1] ~ 4

IV (The Beginning)

I chased after the pidgey, which had already flown off, with doom loping along beside me. I had already begun to sweat, and beads of combined water and salt rolled down my cheek and dripped off my face. This was much harder than I had earlier expected, or hoped. The pidgey had already disappeared, and now it was a rather hard game of hide-and-go-seek. I glanced up another tree while I ran by it. Nothing. Having failed to ask exactly how far into the forest this exercise went, I was just sprinting father and farther in. I knew I had failed, there was no chance of me being able to catch the tiny, speedy bird, or even see it. I turned back in the direction of the HQ to see a small, winged creature hurriedly fly out from where used to be directly behind me into the forest. I narrowed my eyes, puzzled. Could that have been the pidgey? Maybe, I thought, it was, and so I dashed off in pursuit.

"Hffff," I panted. I just really wasn't cut out for this kind of exercise. I had, once more, lost the pidgey, quite a bit faster this time. I, furthermore, had absolutely no clue as to in which direction the HQ was. "ugh," I groaned. Could it get much worse?

I turned around 180 degrees after deciding to try and just follow my footsteps, which were imprinted in the ground, and once more saw a winged, tiny creature dart away into the bush. This time, I did not move. Was the pidgey, or some other random flying creature, following me around? I released Doom, who had up to this moment been incased in his pokeball. I had wanted to keep him in full health, but I knew I would need to use him to track this petite pidgey.

But, the moment I turned, I saw once more the same bird, hurriedly ducking out of my line of site.

"Doom!" I cried, and the pokemon's ears pricked up. "I want you to tackle me!"

He looked at me, confused.

"Don't worry," I reassured it, "I'll get out of the way in time."

Doing the pokemon's version of shrugged shoulders, it leapt at me. I ducked out of the way in the last second, falling to the ground and landing on soft, forgiving dirt.

I turned my head instantly, to see doom tackle a pidgey, which happened to be the same one I had been chasing.

"Gey!" came the strangled cry.

I ran over and picked it up, and placed it inside a spare pokeball I was lucky enough to have on me.

"Doom," I asked, "Can you lead us back to the HQ?"

He looked at me, confused, then fell to the ground to lick his paws. I rolled my eyes. Now what could I do? I had thought absols were good trackers. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe they have hearing problems.

Highly unlikely, as whenever I open a chocolate bar he's there in seconds.

I sigh, and begin to walk in what I hoped was the general direction of the HQ...

________1 Hour Later________

I lean against a tall spruce tree, and look down at my only pokemon. Doom is once more taking a break, while I catch my breath. How am I supposed to make it back to the HQ if I can't even tell which direction it's in? I look up. If only I could fly, I'd be able to see the HQ from the air...

Struck by a sudden thought, I lightly toss a pokeball into the air, and a small bird pokemon appears.

"Pidgey," I ask, "Can you fly up and locate the direction of the HQ?"

'Gey!' It chirped, flying up into the sky.

I shake my head, ashamed I didn't think of this earlier. Maybe I'm not cut out to be part of team rocket?

Interrupting my thoughts, Pidgey swoops down from the sky, and starts flying slowly in a seemingly random direction. I shrug my shoulders, and jog tiredly after it, doom loping along beside me, disinterested.

____A Few Minutes Later___

Not long after my descision, the three of us make it easily back to the HQ. My instructor is waiting for me, nibbling on a sandwich of some sort. When I come into sight, he straightens up and places the sandwich inside a Ziplock bag.

"Way to take your time," he comments. "I see you finally captured it. Well, Pidgey is yours now. You'll need a flying type pokemon soon enough anyway. Without one, you'll be severely crippled. Get a good rest. Tomorrow is your first mission."

With that curt dismissal, he stood up and went back into the building.

I shrugged and followed. After that, I would have a good, ten hour rest and wake up the next day to a breakfast of instant oatmeal, followed by my first mission briefing...

______End Chapter IV______

Well, well, well. Finally, the training is over and he's going to start doing quote-on-quote missions. If you have not ever played pokemon soulsilver, heartgold, gold, silver, crystal, red, blue, green... And never watched the pokemon anime, well, you might not yet have heard of team rocket. So, I won't tell you who they are. Anyway, I'm Ilovetoread72 and thank you for reading part IV of The Shadows Of Dusk.

:D

_________~~~________

Another random note from Ilovetoread72 in the future: Hope you enjoyed another unedited chapter! I just wanted to note again that this is a four-book series. Each book is fifteen chapters long, except for the fourth book. So continue reading this book! :D