The Shadows of Dusk [The Darkened Time Series Book 1] ~ 1

Prologue

He dashed through the forest, sprinting away from his imminent doom. I chased after him as fast as I could, my faithful absol, doom, keeping pace with me. My breath was running out, but I had to keep going. I couldn't show how tired I was, how out of breath I was. I couldn't show any weaknesses. My quarry was very attentive, even while having lost a battle and having to run for dear life.

His name was Gavin, and was in his mid-teens. That was all, they said, I'd need to know, other than his physical appearance, roughly 4'3", with black matted hair and bright blue eyes. That was all, they said. Then they sent me off, to defeat him and bring him in. Or dispose of him, whichever was easier. Of course, they had added, that bringing him in was 'preferable'. In other words, if I did anything else they'd torture me again. And possibly kill my dog. Painfully.

Now, I know this doesn't sound like a great situation I'm in. I know.

Wishing I had a Pokemon I could ride on, I continue running. I slow down a little, not noticeably. He continues to run at his fast pace, and I wonder how he keeps it up. Possibly having imminent death as a motivator. Really keeps you moving. I only have torture and pain, so I can't go as fast as he can.

Wait, that doesn't make any sense. Whatever. Speeding up, as much as I can, I order doom to try and hit him from this far away. As he is a very young Pokemon, without that good of aim, I have refrained from that so far in hopes of keeping his energy up. But we aren't gaining; he's getting away. If I wait any longer, I'm sure that there will be no chance whatsoever.

I take a breath, and open my mouth to give the order...

---/Forward/---

Are you tired of random authors interupting you in the middle of your story to rant on about something? Well, I'm Ilovetoread72, and welcome to my story...

Yeah, sorry, I'm bad. If you actually are tired of that, well, sorry.

I'll try and make this short.

Oh wait, that scene happens to be a cutout from maybe even thirty chapters away...

Actually, I forget when that actually happens.

Wait, you ask. The author seems to be quick knowledgeable about the future. How is this possible?

Possible answers:

A: He has a dialga, a celebi, or some other time-bending pokemon.

B: He is writing this over five months after actually publishing this chapter, and is *GASP* (I don't like to swear, but here's the 'E' word) editing. Which is highly unlikely.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm editing.

Why?

Remember the 'I' who was talking (first person) about ten or something paragraphs ago? The guy who has an absol named Doom?

Well, it just so happens that SPOILER he is the main character of this story. I know, crazy right?

Well, it also just so happens that I've gone by the last... (When did I start this thing? Eh, I think maybe March?)

Well, it also just so happens that I've gone by the last seven and a half months calling him 'No-Name'. Which means that he hasn't had a name for the last seven months of uploading. (A.K.A. twenty-six uploaded chapters)

Well, today, (October 29, 2011) he has gained a name. To commemorate this, I decided to edit the first chapter.

Anyway.

Cue unedited forward:

Hey, I'm Ilovetoread72, and welcome. In case you haven't noticed, I love to read. (No, really?)

Whatever, this has nothing to do with that; if you want to know more just read my profile page. Okay. This is my third attempt at a book, and to me it seems pretty good so far. Of course, that is a very biased opinion in many ways. That's why I need you, the reader, to give me all the feedback you can; whether you like it or not, why or why not, and so on. Every bit of information I receive is so very helpful, unless it contains inappropriate reference to drugs, alcohol, and/or swearing. Nah, I'm just kidding, I know none of you would do that. I hope. Anyway, I don't know how good this book will be till some people start giving feedback. Thank you, and I really hope you enjoy this book.

---/Roughly 5 years ago/---

"ugh," I groan, opening my misty blue eyes. At three O'clock in the morning. I force myself out of bed, and glance at my alarm clock. I force a tired smile, happy that I can make today special.

At twelve years old, my father is nearly impossible to please. No matter what I do, I know he thinks I'm useless.

Of course, that could just be a glaring misconception on my part.

...Or the fact that no matter what I do, he just looks at me and says, "You're useless, Kiriel."

Yep, that's probably it.

I get my clothes on, my special navy blue jeans from the awesome clothing shop 'Dressware', the 'Dressware' logo on all the buttons and in a few other places too. My shirt, the only one that's clean, is my hated green t-shirt from Cometclothing. Honestly, Cometclothing? Sheesh. Even Gongo's Clothing Shop is better than Cometclothing.

I hurry out of my small, under-furnished room, and into the nice, newly renovated, kitchen. I pull out the drawer of all types of pots and pans, and select a nice, semi-used, pot. I cook my father's Fathers Day surprise, scrambled eggs. Placing the final delicious result onto a medium-sized plate, I headed towards my father's room. Opening the majestic door, I looked in to find... No one there.

 End---/I/---End

Thank you for reading!

Comments+Votes= Me happy.

Did you catch his name? Did it go by too fast? Hmm?