Desperate

When we got home, I helped Marshall out of the car and once we entered the door, he fell down on his knees again.

"What is it ??" I asked quickly, he pointed ahead. He pointed at a jacket hanging over the back of the couch. Proof's jacket. The jacket he had forgotten at the wedding ... He stood up and walked over to it, looked at it for a while before he picked it up to his nose and sniffed it.

"It still fucking smells like him !!" He screamed, his voice broke several times as he fell down on the couch. "How !? WHY !? WHY HIM !!" He yelled and hit the pillow.

It pained me to see him like that, and it pained me to know that Proof never would come walking through the door again with his big grin again. But right now, my focus was at Marshall, he needed me.

"What can I do?" I asked, he didn't look up and just sobbed even more. "Marshall, what can I do ---"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP !!!" I jumped, but took a step toward him. He breathed heavily and whistled every time he breathed, he was shaking and crying. "You can't do nothing ... You can't do nothing ... You can't do nothing ..." he repeated over and over again.

"I'm just trying to help, please let me help you ..." I said a little sad, I tried not to sound sad, but it didn't work as I had planned, obviously ... Carefully, I sat down on the couch beside him and he just sank against me. I put my arms around him and stroked him on the back. "You heard anything from the guys?" I asked cautiously, I'd get him to talk about it, open up.

"They ... They all coming over ..." he muttered forward. "He's coming too, right ??" He looked up and met my gaze. "Proof's coming too, this is all a joke. He's coming too, he'll be here. He's coming ..." I looked at him quietly and desperately tried to fight the tears while I watched him believe his lie. "He's not dead, he isn't dead. Any minute now, he's coming through that door. I know it, he isn't gone." He looked into my eyes, he knew he lied, but he wanted to believe what he said himself. "Proof's coming, we gonna have a party and we'll all be happy. Right, Alexis?" I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, I breathed heavily as I struggled to fight the tears.

"No ..." I choked, I looked in his eyes as I saw pain and tears build up once again. "He's coming, but he won't be here, Marshall ..."

"No, he'll be here !! He isn't gone !! HE ISN'T ALLOWED TO !!" He yelled and sank against me again. "He ain't allowed to ,he ain't ... Proof ... Fuck, no!" He screamed, stood up and stomped up the stairs to the bedroom. I heard the door being slammed shut and locked.

"Proof ... Why did you leave us ??" I asked myself and let out the many waterfalls of tears I had kept to myself all night, for Marshall...