Chapter 59. the terrible night

Arabella's POV:

We'd finished dinner a half hour later. Basil followed Iris and me to our room. She stayed close to us like a watch dog. Iris was moving slowly. I had a feeling that she was somewhat dep in thought.

As soon as we entered the room, Basil leapt onto my bed and looked down at us. She was whimpering.

"What's the matter with Basil?" Iris appeared concerned.

"I'm not certain," I said. "She appears to be rather quiet."

I walked to the bed and joined the canine. Iris followed as well and we both sat with her.

"What's the problem, Basil?" I stroked her furry head.

Basil laid down and she licked me. I softly took Iris's hand. "Honey, I believe she wants some rubs. Give her a gentle rub."

Iris was confused. "How so?"

"Place your hand on top mine," I said. "I can show."

Iris did so and I softly rubbed Basil's belly. The dog stretched, her tail thumping against the bed.  Iris chuckled. "Merry pup."

She stroked Basil's back while I rubbed the pup's tummy.

"You feeling all right, Love?" I asked. "You're rather silent."

Iris sighed. "Mr and Mrs Tyler are dreadful."

"I've seen them," I shivered. "Unfortunate Ola."

"You ever visited her home?" Iris looked to my voice.

"Nay," I said. "Reason?"

"It's far worse there!" Iris was tense. "Calico Tyler had to bring her siblings in to her care. I don't really recall them names. Though they were quite nice to Cola and protected her."

"She's a brave young lady!" I gripped her hand. "What exactly makes her home worse than this place?"

"The entire house has window grills." Iris seemed on the verge of tears. "One time, Mrs Tyler injured me in front of Ola."

"You need not tell me if you prefer not to, my dear!" I gently wrapped my arm round her. "However if it eases your mind, please do share. It is high time we start opening up about our troubles. This way when difficult moments arise in our relationship, we will understand that our anger is not truly directed at each other."

Iris sighed. "I was nine when it happened. I was almost going home with father to get calmed since that specific time wasn't muchly doing what I desired it to do."

"She did not stick thee?" I felt poorly.

Iris looked at me. "She attempted to shoot me lass!"

"Oi, what happened then?" I asked.

"She slit me wrist after having a go at shooting me," said Iris.

"Left or right?" I asked.

Iris exhaled. "Me right! The one you've got, dear."

I gently rolled up her sleeve and was proper shocked. There was a long line round it looking proper deep. How could Mrs Tyler inflict this upon my lovely bird?

***

A/N:

Here  s 59 chapter. I Hope you did enjoyed it!