Hubert X Reader- Beneath the smile (Request)

Request: @Junyarinpa
Warnings: None
Word count: 1577
Gender: Female
Additional Info: None

The title is so cliche but y'all, idc.
Enjoy!

Hubert knew (Y/N) from afar only. She was a noble, whose house (of smaller size and led significant) was tightly knit to the Von Vestra's.

Hubert, from a young age, would notice (Y/N) from a distance, at some party or some ball, dancing, talking- but always with a smile upon her face, always there would be a laugh escaping her lips. He never talked to her, or found any interest in talking to her. She was too loud, too outgoing, and he found her to be exhausting. Her cheerfulness was irksome to someone like him, who valued serious and quiet character above all else.

Hubert was surprised to find her at the Academy. Sure, he knew that she had some potential, he had eyes, but he never thought she would actually get accepted. But then again, these days, acceptances would come to about anyone.

Despite them being in the same, Hubert never engaged in any contact with her, but (Y/N) always did. She liked him for some, odd reason.

She would always look for his company, seek his advice and his help, which Hubert always found troubling.

He one day asked her why she was always so intent on being with him. It wasn't as if they ever were friends before their Academy years.

(Y/N), when asked that question, seemed almost hurt, "You're the only one here I actually know here, and I'm so glad you're here. Without you, I feel... lost, I guess."

"You're being ridiculous," and he snickered, "You don't know me."

"I know you better than everyone else here."

Hubert looked at her for a minute, looking for the glimpse of mockery in her eyes that he could not find. She was actually being serious.

"You'll find friends. You're sociable and you get along with everyone," he said nonchalantly.

"Not really. It's different here. I feel like everyone's so judgmental. I don't think I actually fit in here."

"You can always leave," he muttered with a slight hint of sarcasm, "Don't feel obligated to stay just because you were accepted here."

"I can't. I need the education."

At the sound of such a curious remark, Hubert looked back at her with a raised brow.

"I need the education so I can properly run our family's estate back at home. My mother isn't- well-... And I want the proper education to be able to-... My father- Never mind," she blushed, looking away from Hubert. Suddenly, she no longer seemed like the person Hubert used to know.

How curious.

"But," she sighed before trying her best to smile, "You know what? You're right. I'm sociable. I'll just try my best to make friends."

She got up from her chair. Hubert glanced back at her again, watching her leave.

"I'll just leave you be now, and I promise I'll never bother you again. I'm sorry," she said with a hint of melancholy in her voice despite the bright smile, "Good day, Hubert."

"Good day," he muttered back. His eyes simply wouldn't leave her.

~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~

It was one of those unending nights on which Hubert couldn't find sleep, so, as it usually wound up happening on nights like those, he got out of his dorm room and began to roam the school, ensuring no one would be trespassing the grounds and wind up hurting Lady Edelgard.