Dorothea X Reader- Hand-holding (Request)

Request: @Hitthereimyou12
Warnings: None
Word count: 841
Gender: Male

I'm finally on my holiday vacation! This was an exhausting trimester, but I know that the next one will be even more so since I'll be going through some very important exams... But until then, I'm trying to loosen up, and maybe I'll post some more oneshots (no promises though) until then.
Anyways, enjoy!

"I cannot believe we are going to the theater next week!" Dorothea exclaimed to Edelgard. They were sitting around the empty classroom after class. Manuela, their professor, had just told their class that they were going on a school trip to the theater soon.

"It's been so long since I've been there! With school and all... I'm so excited! Aren't you?"

Edelgard, who was doing her homework at a nearby table, looked back at her friend and smiled, "Me? Dorothea... I'm afraid I won't be coming to the play..." She awkwardly confessed.

"What? Why not?"

"Hubert and I have some business to attend to, and it just so happens to be on the night of the play. I'm sorry, Dorothea..."

"You're leaving me all alone then?"

"You won't be alone, you know. The whole class is going."

"Oh! But it won't be the same without you, Edie!" Dorothea said, before pulling the princess in an embrace.

"Dorothea!" She softly chuckled, "Well, there'll also be (Y/N)."

The student immediately pulled away from the hug at the mentioning of the boy's name.

"(Y/N)! He'll also be coming to the play! This'll be interesting," she muttered to herself.

"Do you still like him?"

Dorothea's cheeks became a light pink. She huffed, "Well, yes... But don't tell him anything about it!"

Before Edelgard could ask any further questions, Dorothea was quick to hop on another subject.

"Well then, since you're not coming, at least help me pick an outfit for the play!"

~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~

It was the evening of the play and all the Black Eagles students (except for Edelgard and Hubert) gathered outside the Academy, where they were to wait for the Professor, in order to start heading to the theater.

Dorothea had a hard time looking for (Y/N), but when she finally found him laying about, she rushed to him. He was talking to Lindhart.

"-And so I thought it interesting to-"

Dorothea lightly coughed to make her presence known.

Lindhart and (Y/N) turned their heads. (Y/N) became a blushing mess when his eyes met Dorothea, whilst Lindhart remained expressionless at the sight of her.

"Yes?"

"I'd like to speak to (Y/N)."

"Go ahead. I won't stop you, you know," he simply said, waiting.

But when he noticed that Dorothea seemed to be waiting to, Lindhart finally realized what she wanted, so he left. (Y/N) became even more of a blushing mess.

"Y-Yes?"

"Are you planning to be sitting next to anyone in particular at the play?"

"No... No, I don't think so," he remained quiet for a moment before asking with a nervous smile, "Why do you ask?"

"How about we sit next to each other? Would you mind?"

He awkwardly chuckled, "Not... Not at all! In fact, I'd love to."

Dorothea smiled brightly, "Good. I'm sure we'll be having lots of fun."

She reached for his hand to hold, but (Y/N) was quick to retrieve it.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing! Let's just... Oh! Look, the Professor is here. Perhaps, we should move closer to her and hear what she has to say."

And so (Y/N) quickly scurried to the Professor, and, instead of taking Dorothea's hand and dragging her along with him, he motioned for her to talk. Dorothea slightly frowned, before walking towards him.

'Why won't he hold my hand? This is becoming very annoying...'

~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~

The play was quite good so far and everyone seemed to be having a good time. (Y/N), who couldn't believe who he was sitting next to, tried to remain focused on the play and loosen up. Dorothea seemed at ease. She would laugh when she found a scene worthy of it, and become serious when a scene when the scene's themes were. She was having a good time, and sometimes, she'd even lean in and whisper something to (Y/N).

He'd then look at her and try to smile naturally, because he still had trouble being himself around her.

Luckily, it seemed like she had forgotten about the whole 'hand-holding incident'.

The play was now slowly reaching its end, and the final scene was reaching its most dramatic point.

Dorothea was at the edge of her seat, and even (Y/N) seemed particularly moved.

So moved she was, that she grasped onto his hand.

(Y/N) felt like he was about to faint.

But he did not have the heart to let go. Holding Dorothea's hand felt so... good? It was also strange, in the heat of the moment. He couldn't seem to grasp what was going on in his heart.

He did not even realize that the curtain had fallen and that everyone was clapping around him.

Dorothea noticed how odd (Y/N) was acting. She looked back at him with a concerned expression, "(Y/N), are you okay?"

At the sound of her voice, (Y/N) rose form his seat and began clapping. He couldn't dare look back at her.

"T-The play was amazing, don't you think? L-Let's leave it at that..."