CHAPTER 169: Phoenix empire (1)

The fire dragon grass can be found in hot places, Hong Mei sends back the news that this spirit medicine appeared in the phoenix empire's lava mountain forest every three years. This is the year when supposedly it would reappear again.

Phoenix empire is the closest empire to hundred flower city if they cross over the black forest straight away, the three independent cities formed a connecting triangle with the black forest in its middle serving as its natural border. If phoenix empire is added to the picture they would form a connecting square. On the side, the jade empire is the closest to rainbow flame city and the Huxian empire is the closest to blue thunder city.

Yu Yue's group directly crossed over the black forest towards the phoenix empire which is surrounded by all sides. From the south, it has the black forest, from the north the lava forest, in the east the Huxian empire, and from the west the jade empire. This is also the main reason why they were busy fending off their borders from spirit beasts stampedes and invasion from the jade and Huxian empires.

"aunt, what's the situation in phoenix empire as off now?" Yu Yue asked casually. Lady Shan Shou first opened another branch of the Jade moon pavilion there, she's much clearer about the situation.

"Everything seems like they were hanging on the edge of a cliff; however, they were still holding on. It makes me wonder how they managed to keep it up this long, the emperor is cowardly, the first prince is blind, and there are no other candidates for the throne aside from this two. The emperor doesn't have any concubines so he doesn't have other offspring..." lady Shan Shou said thoughtfully as she also analyzed the situation base on the information they managed to get so far and also with her personal observation.

"Although this empire is in a critical situation its citizens are kind, good-natured, and patriotic. They have plenty of resources as well..." she added.

It's no wonder that the Jade and Huxian empire have designs on their empire, they have been targeting them for years already but they still haven't managed to take over so they stretched their covetous claws toward the independent cities. If they managed to get their hands on the independent city, then they would be able to surround the phoenix empire completely.

Yu Yue frowned, "I'm sure that phoenix empire also realized this but why were they still so calm?" she muttered thoughtfully.

"Perhaps, they must have already realized that blue thunder city and rainbow flame city are already on their opposing empire's side.

Besides, the previous hundred flower city is not worth mentioning at all, it would just be a waste to join in the fun" lady Shan Shou mused.

Yu Yue nodded as her eyes flashed with understanding, "hmm, maybe. But maybe they also have eyes on us" she smirks vaguely, it's just impossible that they would remain indifferent as it involves the downfall of their empire.

Lady Shan Shou get her meaning, she also gave it some thought and it's more or less likely.

...

After more than a month they reached the outer area of the black forest, with Xing Yi and Xing Er their journey was smooth.

The coachman returned the carriage back to hundred flower city because they have to travel on foot if they want to cross over the black forest.