148. 𝐼𝑡'𝑠 𝐴𝑙𝑙 𝑈𝑝 𝑇𝑜 𝑌𝑜𝑢

James

3 Hours Ago

"Can I ask you a question?" Lucifer said.

"Oh no, do you think he knows about the vase we broke?!" Xavia panicked in my head.

"Relax, he's probably not even thinking about it," I thought.
She let out a tiny scream and I looked up at Lucifer.

"Sure."

"Do you want to stay here with me, or would you like to go back to living with Syn?"

I froze at the question and I heard Xavia let out a small gasp at the mention of Syn. I'd been wanting to spend time with him since I missed him, but it was different for her. She was a wreck from not being able to see or speak to either of our parents.

I remained quiet as I waited for Xavia to tell me what to do, but she was silent. So silent that I would've thought she had left if I couldn't hear her sigh. "What do I say?" I asked.

"Don't ask me," she said. "He asked you."

"Umm, why do you ask?" I questioned him to buy more time. Most things I did these days were to keep my sister safe, but I still needed her to tell me what exactly to do. I knew it'd take her a minute to guide me since she was so stubborn, but hopefully, she'd tell me what to do.l

"Well, before he died you know he was trying to adopt you," he said. "I took you in after he died, but he's back now. I'm just trying to see where your thoughts on this were."

"Oh," I said. "Help!"

"No, this is your choice," she declined.

"Would it be safe for you to stay here?" I asked. "Or do you want to see dad? Whatever you decide I'll do and-"

"JJ," started with a giggle as I began rambling. I peeked up at Lucifer who was thankfully not being weird about me not answering yet and I pulled a bowl from the cabinet. "I'm not going to be with you much longer."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm leaving soon," she said. A frown made its way onto my face at her words and my movements slowed. She was annoying and bothered me all the time, but I felt less stuck in my head when she was in there. Because of her, I'd gone out and been more social so she wouldn't be bored. I had to admit that I enjoyed it even though I didn't like people much.

"Why?"

"I miss mom and dad," she admitted sadly. "And things FEEL safe."

"That doesn't mean that they are," I warned.

"Regardless of that," she said in dismissal. "You should be where makes you happy. I'm happy with mom and dad, so that's where I want to go soon. If you're happy here, then stay. If not, leave."

The thought of us living separately was painful to think about, but I ignored it and looked at Lucifer. He never really showed how he felt about much, but after all of these years, it wasn't hard for me to guess.

I could see how hurt he seemed to be from asking me this, and I wondered why. I knew he was happy that Syn was back, I was doing well in school...what was there to be sad about?